• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where does that hole near the cps go to cause umm...

ferntr33

NAXJA Forum User
Mr Murphy and his law taught me something today.
I lost one of the cps bolts down the hole. I took the dust shield off on the bottom of the bell housing, and didn't see it. Isn't that where it is suppose to fall to? Should I shoot some air in there and see if anything comes up or out?

The bellhousing. The torque converter, flex plate, and nose of the starter motor live in there.

You HAVE to get that bolt back out, otherwise it will find a very inopportune moment to become lodged between the torque converter and the bellhousing and will likely damage one or the other.

If you turn the motor over a few times by hand with a breaker bar on the bolt at the harmonic balancer, the bolt will hopefully fall to the bottom so you can get it out by unbolting the inspection plate on the front lower end of the bellhousing. It's not like the motor is going to start while you're doing this, since the CPS is still not installed.

I took off the cover and the starter. Nothing was there. I blasted it with air, used a magnet. still nothing. I even tied a string to a nut, dropped it down about a dozen times. It fell out the bottom where it should have. I didn't see the bolt fall down the hole, just heard it fall and rattle down some metal. I think it is on top of the tranny or something. I turned the engine over a few times, still nothing. I finally got the cps installed got it plugged in, and turned her on. I drove around without the inspection cover hoping it might fall out if it was in there when I was driving up and off curbs swerving around trying to jostle everything around.

Nevertheless, if I don't post anymore I got stranded out in the Mohave this weekend on my hunting trip and never made it back.

Back