• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock shackle replacment question (with pics)

verberkmoesk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I am getting ready to replace my sagging stock leafs with a set of used Rancho 1.5" leafs. The guy I bought them from gave me used shackels too. One of which is in very good shape, the other not so much. the ones on my jeep are pretty rusted so i ordered one more. I also ordered Rancho bushings and u-bolt hardware in preparation for the swap. When the new shackle came in it looked suprisngly different. compare the next two photos:

Old shackle:

old by verberkmoesk, on Flickr

New:

new by verberkmoesk, on Flickr

the new one flares out quite a bit. where the old one is parrellel were it would go over the spring.

Also the bushing fits snugly in the old schackle but does not fit well at all in the new. see below:

new bushing new shackle2 by verberkmoesk, on Flickr

new bushing, new shackle by verberkmoesk, on Flickr

the new one says made in china and looks like thinner metal as well. I ordered from morris 4x4. Wondering if the ones from quadratec are better? Or is it ok as is? kinda leary about intalling this crappy looking shackle. Any advise would be appreciatied.

How badly rusted where your old ones. If just surface rust and not putted to hell I would use them. You can give them a quick sand and spray them black again. But yah that new one just doesn't seem right.

Oh and do not forget to start spraying pb blaster on you leaf bolts a few days befor you wanna do the swap. It will help out alot. WD40 might work too but it is not designed as a penetrant style fluid, I have always used PB Blaster as the stuff works great.

It will probably close up properly after you torque that bolt to spec. But I would get a better shackle, it just looks crummy. I have quarter inch plate welded shackles on my heep, no chance of breaking those.

Thanks for the replies. not sure what I am going to do yet. But I will try and post pics of the install when i finally get around to it.

What did you end up doing?

I'm dropping the height down a bit and want to go from an extended shackle back to stock. I stopped by the local dealer and they wanted $127 ea! Current plan right now is to go with the ones from quadratec.

You can get stock replacements from a Crown dealer for like $11 each. They are so cheap that I literally gave mine away after using them for a few months, I felt silly asking for like $3 for something.

In fact, pm JrTxJ and he might be able to get some shipped to you.

Back