• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are IPF Headlights of the E-Code version?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Not trying to beat a dead horse on this one... but I'm thinking about replacing my Autopal E-Code headlight housings w/something that has a better/sharper beam cutoff. Obviously read good things about Cibie, IPF and Hella... but are the IPF's of the E-code variety? Such as this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm or are those not the variety that has the nice beam cut-off? Hard to find any E-code 200mm square H4 lights around this area in the local parts stores, so I want to be sure if I order I get the right thing.

I could order f/ Daniel Stern a set of Cibie E-codes, but at double the price if there is negligible difference then I'll go the IPF or Hella route.

Thanks

I have IPF's and have nothing bad to say. Only thing that kind of lacks is the cheap xenon bulbs I am running, but tons better than stock sealed beams

I run the IPF housings with Hella 90/130 watt bulbs. The bulbs are $7 each on amazon and are very bright. The IPFs have a great cut off and nice high beam spread. Very satisfied with the beam and build quality. My friend liked them so much he put the same setup in his own XJ. :clap:

Thanks for the info all!! Looks like I'm going to order some IPFs & try them out. I'd like better cutoff pattern on low beams f my Autopals & the Hi beams seem to scatter light all over the place.

Ordered a pair of IPF housings and Hella 130/90W bulbs... here's hoping this combination, along w/the wiring upgrades I've already done make for a BRIGHT and consistent combination! Thx again for the info all.

Ordered a pair of IPF housings and Hella 130/90W bulbs... here's hoping this combination, along w/the wiring upgrades I've already done make for a BRIGHT and consistent combination! Thx again for the info all.

You will love that combination. What kind of wiring upgrades did you do? I have the ARB harness, and with the IPF housings and Hella 90/130 bulbs I barely use my KCs anymore with my high beams.

I you really want a nice cutoff I would make a projector headlight and stick it in the housing. Honda s2000 has the undisputed best cutoff line of any headlight anywhere period. Then you can safely run HID's too.

Google HID projectors and Jeep and a few retrofits will pop up.

Otherwise I don't think it is worth getting another set of e-codes especially if you already have true e-codes.

Last edited:
What kind of wiring upgrades did you do?

One of the ready-made versions rated for 100W w/some decent relays and connections. I know that I checked the power at the plug-in and was getting around 12.5V - 13V consistently so power should be good to go.

I have been in a Honda S2000 and those cars definitely have really good HID lights and cut-offs! I'm not really interested in converting to HID's for my XJ. I'm sure I'll be pleased w/the IPF/Hella Bulb combo so long as everything gets here in working/new shape.

Followup:

Got the IPF's and Hella bulbs installed. The quality build of the IPF housings are really nice. Much better quality (build-wise) than the Autopals they replaced. However, I'm really dissapointed in the beam patterns on these. The Autopals have a better/sharper horizontal cut-off and the IPF's have a more traditional 'scattered' beam pattern. A bit of a cut-off, but not as sharp as the Autopals.

Now these would be a huge step-up f/the old sealed beam bulbs that came OE on the XJ, but I'd say I did more of a lateral move (after shelling out the $100) on these IPF's and bulbs. Not happy about the investment at all. Should have just stuck w/the cheaper Autopals. I'm thinking if I had it to do again, and very well may try another route, would be to used either Hella E-Code housings or Cibbie E-code housings.

I'm thinking that these IPF housings are not E-Code, even though the 'advertising' leads you to believe that.

Again, the quality of the IPF housings are fantastic, just that the cut-off is not that sharp... and that's what I was wanting.

Red, any chance you could take some comparison night shots between the Autopal and IPF housings?

I may do that down the road... or if/when I change out to Hella/Cibbie's down the road. I don't know if I'd have the time to swap out one headlight at night to take pics right now. I'll see if I can get some decent 'light cut-off' pics of the IPFs now so I can post.

This is good to know. The Delta's I have on mine scatter a bit on high beam and it's not something I want were I to buy "better" lights.

I just put Cibies in a few hours ago and I can tell you the cutoff is super crisp. Just as good as the round Cibies that I had in my previous vehicle. Have not used Hellas or IPFs sadly so I can't compare. (one man can only buy so many headlights.) But I now have 180 watts of high beam power, woo hoo! I can see! I can see!

I just put Cibies in a few hours ago and I can tell you the cutoff is super crisp. Just as good as the round Cibies that I had in my previous vehicle. Have not used Hellas or IPFs sadly so I can't compare. (one man can only buy so many headlights.) But I now have 180 watts of high beam power, woo hoo! I can see! I can see!

That's good to hear. Where did you get the Cibies & if u don't mind... How much did they cost you?

I don't get what the fascination is with sharp cut offs. The IPFs have a decent cut off for me, since I still like to see a little bit ahead of me when I have the low beams on. My dad's Mercedes-Benz has a really sharp cut off, but when driving with the low beams on, I feel as though I wouldn't see a deer in my lane until I'm right on top of it. :confused1

That's good to hear. Where did you get the Cibies & if u don't mind... How much did they cost you?

Daniel Stern and too much :) I just bought from him because I've hit him up for advice too many times over the years and never bought anything significant from him, figured I'd owe him one. I don't know if there is a better source for US residents or not :/

I don't get what the fascination is with sharp cut offs. The IPFs have a decent cut off for me, since I still like to see a little bit ahead of me when I have the low beams on. My dad's Mercedes-Benz has a really sharp cut off, but when driving with the low beams on, I feel as though I wouldn't see a deer in my lane until I'm right on top of it. :confused1

I'm inclined to prefer the sharp cutoff because I've always driven small, low to the ground cars (my two longest-term daily drivers before I got a job with a company car were a VW Scirocco and a Porsche 944) and I always hated being followed by vehicles with bad headlights, esp. Ford trucks. If my rearview mirror wasn't dimmed it could literally be painful when one of them tucked in behind me... So when doing headlight upgrades I am always thinking about that experience... esp. since the lights I just put in don't have the usual 55/60W bulbs heh heh heh...

Once upon a time I had reason to be driving my company car while someone else was driving the 944 behind me; that also had Cibie E-codes in it. I left my rearview mirror undimmed and I could look straight at the front of the 944 in my mirror and the headlights just looked like glowing circles. However, the ability to see on low beam was pretty good and the high beams were spectacular. (that car had a relay harness in it, too.)

I'm inclined to prefer the sharp cutoff because I've always driven small, low to the ground cars (my two longest-term daily drivers before I got a job with a company car were a VW Scirocco and a Porsche 944) and I always hated being followed by vehicles with bad headlights, esp. Ford trucks. If my rearview mirror wasn't dimmed it could literally be painful when one of them tucked in behind me... So when doing headlight upgrades I am always thinking about that experience... esp. since the lights I just put in don't have the usual 55/60W bulbs heh heh heh...

Once upon a time I had reason to be driving my company car while someone else was driving the 944 behind me; that also had Cibie E-codes in it. I left my rearview mirror undimmed and I could look straight at the front of the 944 in my mirror and the headlights just looked like glowing circles. However, the ability to see on low beam was pretty good and the high beams were spectacular. (that car had a relay harness in it, too.)

I can understand that. I hate being blinded by lights behind me also. When I aimed my headlights I had a few family members with smaller cars drive in front of me to make sure I didn't blind them. I just find that some cars with factory projectors like Cadillacs, GMC Denalis, Acuras, Audis, etc will blind me more than other cars with halogens. It must be the way they are aimed or something. Seems more high end cars such as M-Benz, BMW, etc are still very bright but don't blind oncoming traffic. You'd think that if manufacturers were going to build a headlight setup they would do it the right way.

Back