• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front brakes upgrade

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any company's that make a big brake kit for a 98 xj. Maybe a dual piston caliper that bolts up to the brackets or conversions? Or do the grand cherokees have different calipers and rotors that can be swapped over? Mine diatedoes not have ABS. Any input is appreciated

Do a search on the WJ steering/brake conversion. The WJ uses a two piston caliper.

I will be going that direction myself. I intend to put in the WJ MC and the proportion valve as well as the Akebono calipers and the bigger disks. I am 4 wheel disk now with the Currie HP9 but a larger bore MC will improve the braking force applied by a bunch.

Are there any company's that make a big brake kit for a 98 xj. Maybe a dual piston caliper that bolts up to the brackets or conversions? Or do the grand Cherokees have different calipers and rotors that can be swapped over? Mine does not have ABS. Any input is appreciated

Vanco sells a bolt-on kit.
http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/121.htm
Goatman is using one of their brake kits on his KOH rig.

They come with a highly modified pair of knuckles, a pair of 46mm dual-piston Explorer calipers or 48mm dual piston Sport-trac calipers and rotors from an Exploer or Sport Trac, depending on the kit.
The Black Magic pads are nice, having good bite when cold and even better braking when hot.
I have a set of Vancos (with 48mm calipers and Black Magic pads) on my 2001, with 33"s, and love them.

The WJ brakes are also a good choice for better brakes. They can be cheaper to do but require a lot of modification, fabrication and the chasing of parts. Search this topic because there is a lot information available.

The WJ swap is your best bang for the buck, you get larger brakes with crossover steering with is better steering system for lifted vehicles

Back