• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabb help needed.

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
i have no bender to do this
Sliders003.jpg

Sliders005.jpg

just need help with a couple bends and 4 cuts on a folding bandsaw. (i have the saw) maby one of you have a saw and a bender in the same place. i just want to get the round tube set to the 2x6. a line on simular brackets would be nice but thats not the hard part fo me.

post up or pm if you can help.

thx
Bronze.

I have the availability of a bender Where did you get 2x6. Is it .188 wall? What did you pay??

hey thats cool. did you see that on a write up? link or it never happen !!! lol

This has been done many times, most commonly by those who are caging the inside of their XJ and going to use these supports to help get the support from the frame rail to the cage.

IF I were doing this I would do it without the tube rails. I have done them before and they are a royal PITA for sevaral reasons and they waist a lot of tube. The tube is also much weaker than the box section.

IF you really want the extra side protection I would do it with a 2x8 instead of a 2x6.

Just my .02 from someone who has done standard rails with and without tube extensions and rocker replacements in multiple sizes.

Michael

This has been done many times, most commonly by those who are caging the inside of their XJ and going to use these supports to help get the support from the frame rail to the cage.

IF I were doing this I would do it without the tube rails. I have done them before and they are a royal PITA for sevaral reasons and they waist a lot of tube. The tube is also much weaker than the box section.

IF you really want the extra side protection I would do it with a 2x8 instead of a 2x6.

Just my .02 from someone who has done standard rails with and without tube extensions and rocker replacements in multiple sizes.

Michael

i see the point in this michael. glue-n-tape used 2x8 and imo it looks a little funny. i like the tube extentions for more protection your right. i would use DOM. (would that help?) probably 40% of the plannig on this end is for cosmetics. im going to be putting a HIGH quility paint job on it, aswell as my buisness logo possably. so i want it to fit "the look" and also have the functionality of a well built wheeler.

Bronze.

Last one we did we split a tube in half and welded it to the box rather the stand it off the box.

Then no bending required,we do it with a plasma but you could do it with a cut off wheel in a die grinder

This is a little different but kind of the same idea.
2012-01-07214518.jpg

i still think id like to go with the plans in the op. i need to finalize my plans for all my metal work befor i put my order in. ill get the 2x6 trimmed to size, how much excess tube do i need to make the bends at both ends? i figure its close to a miter maby 4" on each side? ive never bent tube befor. i want to use some flat stock for the center suports insted of the tube blocks.

michael, i forgot to mention. i will eventualy pony up and go for the hybred cage. but i think it will be a year or two befor i get there. ill be stuffing the uniframe, not wraping it, with 3x3 then gusets from there to the new rocker replacements. i figure it will be 3x min, stronger than the rail setup i had on it befor. im hoping that will get me throo till cage time.

thx for the help guies. this is guna be a major transformation for me

Bronze.

i see the point in this michael. glue-n-tape used 2x8 and imo it looks a little funny. i like the tube extentions for more protection your right. i would use DOM. (would that help?) probably 40% of the plannig on this end is for cosmetics. im going to be putting a HIGH quility paint job on it, aswell as my buisness logo possably. so i want it to fit "the look" and also have the functionality of a well built wheeler.

Bronze.

In this case I would just make sure you use a thicker wall tube you can do some searching but I don't believe it will matter if it is DOM or seamless tube (HREW) if memory serves the HREW may hold up better in this application (I used .095 wall HREW as a test and it had a few dents in them).

As for the bends. I would use a large radius bend so that the "transition" is better from tires to rails. Depending on your radius you could easily eat an additional 1-2 feet of tube on each end. I would verify this with who ever you are having bend the tube before you purchase the tube on the other hand I assume you will be buying in 20ft sticks so you should have plenty.

If you use flat stock for your stand off's you will loose some strength, not sure if this would be significant or not depending on the flat stock and the welding.

one last comment. The tube extensions do not make safe steps to stand on, they also make it a little more difficult to get in and out of the Jeep especially if you want to keep clean ;)

These rails do a decent job of tieing in the cage, frame and rails. I would highly recommend you pay attention to their placements with regard to any future cage ideas.

Just my experience and thoughts.
Michael

im not letting all the kittys out of the bag just yet. ill post a build thred once the parts start rolling in...

Bronze.
i see how you are. are you going to have the frame to tube stiffner as well? i was talking to a couple of my fab/wheel friends and they mentioned it might be a hang up if you slip off a rock or root ball and get it right between. ro such.

I know your build consists of some shackle relocation brackets

Well. That's if you still want them! Haha. I'll have to buy an xj to use them on

I know your build consists of some shackle relocation brackets

Well. That's if you still want them! Haha. I'll have to buy an xj to use them on

yeah. i was up there last week but dident want to stop by unanounced :gonnablow. i dont think i have your current cell #

i was thinking .188 on the tube thickness. probably all of it at .188 actualy. .250 im thinking is overkill. lots of good stuff to think about.

thx agin guies
Bronze.

Back