• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did it again...

Burt Gummer

NAXJA Forum User
Bit the bullet and bought another XJ despite my bad luck with my first. This one is an 01 with a few add-ons. It has a 3.5" Rough Country lift, 10.5x31 BFG Mud Terrains on 15" aluminum rims, and a Smittybilt winch/bumper up front. Only 112K miles and clean inside & out.
Now I need a safari rack so I can mount a spare wheel up top. What do you folks like?

I toss my spare in the bed... oh yeah, XJ. I would also vote tire carrier.

home brew, i made mine from 3/4 electrical tubing and pop riveted it together. pm me if you need plans, it cost me about 100 in supplies and tools and is damn sturdy. tac welds dont hurt tho if you plan to use it much.

Got to save space in back for my copilot, Maddy. She's a 4-year-old black Lab. Also guns, tackle boxes, etc. I was going to go with a carrier but they are very pricey. Back home in ME, the roof carriers are more popular. Pix as soon as I find where the camera got packed during the move south.

I picked up a surco rack(cheap) for my spare, I use my cargo area for chairs and a stroller for my son, so putting it inside wwasn't going to work for me.

31 and less I would put in the stock location. Anything bigger, and you'd better start saving for a rack. No one realizes how bad a tire on the roof sucks until its up there. It kills your mpg, turns your jeep into an accident prone tire launching catapult, blows dick getting a heavyass tire down from over your head, and oh - did i mention it kills your gas mileage?

I'd bet that thing is beautiful!

i think it is... :gee:
but id say if it is 31 or smaller just put it in the stock location... it ruins your mileage like nothing else. but a rack does the job.

Bit the bullet and bought another XJ despite my bad luck with my first. This one is an 01 with a few add-ons. It has a 3.5" Rough Country lift, 10.5x31 BFG Mud Terrains on 15" aluminum rims, and a Smittybilt winch/bumper up front. Only 112K miles and clean inside & out.

Worthless without pics!!

!!!1

Not that I'm a big fan of racks but I hate having my rear window view blocked. If you mount it lower it hangs up. I prefer mine on the roof but my xj isn't my daily either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for racks. I have a Yakima one up there for snowboards and surfboards. But I'm a strong believer that the spare tire doesn't belong up there on a DD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for racks. I have a Yakima one up there for snowboards and surfboards. But I'm a strong believer that the spare tire doesn't belong up there on a DD.

100% agree, its not for a DD

I'm also all for racks... wait, we're talking about jeeps?

MJs are great, I think I can fit 4 or 5 spare tires in my bed with just a few ratchet straps :)

Racks on racks on racks

jeep_boobs_bounce.jpg

Back