• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suv mounted tent

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
me wants. anyone have one? im looking for one that attaches with the hatch up. I saw sears has one (SPM5721730703 ) but i dont see any reviews. Id like it to keep it under a million dollars for this, but ill pay what i feel is worth it if its good. anyone have any suggestions based off of PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? or if you havent, any youve seen that i might look at?

Can't you stop spending money for a few minutes?

Personally, I wouldn't buy one.

I prefer to have a "base camp" set up. It sucks having to take down your tent to go wheeling, and have to put your tent back up after a night run. This is another reason I don't get the whole roof top tent trend.

I'd recommend just buying a regular tent you can set up at the beginning of the weekend, and take down at the end. I use a small three man tent, and love it. Super easy to set up, big enough for a small cot, and good quality so I don't have to worry about flooding and condensation.

Also most of those tents setup exactly where your exhaust exits, so you can run your rig for heat.

I have this one. Don't want to sell it anymore though. They are pretty hard to find, were an option on liberty. You don't have to have the jeep hooked up either. You can zip off the vehicles side and let it sit there. Never actually camped with the jeep hooked up. My last one was a little to tall. Probably going to have the same problem with this one also.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1063513&highlight=liberty+tent

I have this one. Don't want to sell it anymore though. They are pretty hard to find, were an option on liberty. You don't have to have the jeep hooked up either. You can zip off the vehicles side and let it sit there. Never actually camped with the jeep hooked up. My last one was a little to tall. Probably going to have the same problem with this one also.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1063513&highlight=liberty+tent

Tease! Your mean.

He's got money though, if you play your cards right you could probably get double your asking price.

Dave

Doesn't matter tracks, tires or tits their all a problem!

Personally, I wouldn't buy one.

I prefer to have a "base camp" set up. It sucks having to take down your tent to go wheeling, and have to put your tent back up after a night run. This is another reason I don't get the whole roof top tent trend.

I'd recommend just buying a regular tent you can set up at the beginning of the weekend, and take down at the end. I use a small three man tent, and love it. Super easy to set up, big enough for a small cot, and good quality so I don't have to worry about flooding and condensation.

X2 but what do I know I don't sleep in a tent.

Dave

Doesn't matter tracks, tires or tits their all a problem!

One thing Torx doesn't think about is setup. Your pad, bedding, everything is all set up in there. You just flip it open and you're ready to camp. That said, I doubt I'd put one on a strict wheeler but if you're into more travel where you only camp in a place for one night, then they make a ton of sense. The less time you spend setting up camp, there better. I've been shopping for one for a while, keep an eye on craigslist for rooftop tents or Mombasa tents.

I'll sell you the full sex palace conversion kit for $50. no pics but torx has experienced it to the fullest and can vouch for it.

I'll sell you the full sex palace conversion kit for $50. no pics but torx has experienced it to the fullest and can vouch for it.

is it a $40 Coleman complete with odors and stains?

I have this:
IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

It has its place. we do a ton of back country exploring, and considered building a tent trailer for use during the winter trips. we decided to try one onf these instead of the hassle of a trailer in deep snow.

its very nice because your bedding can be stored inside, as well as having a 3" posterpedic foam mattress inside too. its a much thicker fabric, and insulates a little better than our back packing tent.

having it on a rig is bittersweet. my rigs sits pretty high, and im pretty tall too so it provides a very nice dry area to hang out under in the rain. good spot for gear too.

Downside of it is, its a real hassle when you wanna move your jeep. it only takes a few minutes to have it out and ready to sleep, but when it is down, you arent going anywhere.

I finally wound up building a cage for my M100 and mounting it on there. I havent used it on a trailer yet, but i really didnt want to have a trailer:

001.jpg

Im thinking we'll be going back to our backpacking tent, so this one will be up for sale. Ive got a sweet custom rack designed just for a RTT too.

might be interested in the trailer around spring/summer time if you are selling it

Sorry Torx, just giving you a hard time.

Last edited:
Back