• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centering pin fix?

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought some new RE lift springs and got started on the install this weekend. I had forgotten that when I did my S-10 bastard pack I had to go to a larger centering pin to fit the S-10 leaves. This meant that when I installed the Ruffstuff mounts onto my 8.8 I drilled out the center hole to 11/16" to fit the pin head. On the new springs the pin heads are 9/16".
Rather than pull the RE leaves apart and trying to drill the spring steel I had an idea that I would like some feedback on: 2.5" x 6" (I think this is the length of the spring perches) x 3/16" plate. Drill three 9/16" holes with the same spacing as the perches. 9/16" grade 8 bolt with the head cut off and use 1" sections of the shank. Weld those pieces into the 2 outer holes to locate and hold the plate in place and the center hole would now be the correct size for the new center pins.
Whatcha guys think?

Just bought some new RE lift springs and got started on the install this weekend. I had forgotten that when I did my S-10 bastard pack I had to go to a larger centering pin to fit the S-10 leaves. This meant that when I installed the Ruffstuff mounts onto my 8.8 I drilled out the center hole to 11/16" to fit the pin head. On the new springs the pin heads are 9/16".
Rather than pull the RE leaves apart and trying to drill the spring steel I had an idea that I would like some feedback on: 2.5" x 6" (I think this is the length of the spring perches) x 3/16" plate. Drill three 9/16" holes with the same spacing as the perches. 9/16" grade 8 bolt with the head cut off and use 1" sections of the shank. Weld those pieces into the 2 outer holes to locate and hold the plate in place and the center hole would now be the correct size for the new center pins.
Whatcha guys think?
sounds like it would work to me. ive tried to drill springs before with a HSS bit, and they wouldnt even touch them. you would probably need a carbide bit.

Drill out the springs, just go slow and use cutting oil with a good drill bit on a drill press. Use a socket head cap screw for a centering pin.

sounds like it would work to me. ive tried to drill springs before with a HSS bit, and they wouldnt even touch them. you would probably need a carbide bit.
When I drilled out my springs I used a carbide rotary file and used it just like a drill bit in a drill press. It worked like a charm.

Ok, after sitting back and looking at it again and reading these responces, I will be drilling out the springs. Thanks guys.

You will be glad you did. The bigger center pin will be better in the long run IMHO.

Back