• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator opinions please

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
OK so i just spent the last couple hours reading threads on this so i am not completely ignorant..

I have a 2001 Auto and have never had any problems whether it be a hot humid day in Saint louis or out in the mountains in colorado at altitude on steep inclines . I also Tow with it here and there and i Am VERY happy with my stock setup . After my Trans Cooler Install i run a touch under 210 and when i am wheeling it goes up to 210 and i've never seen it over.

Anyway so i am losing coolant at an alarming rate all of a sudden from the drivers side at the end of the radiator after looking it isn't coming from the hose area so i'm assuming its leaking where its crimped together..

I am probably over thinking this but i don't want to spend $ on this and end up pissed its running warmer than my ole stock one ran. 9as i saw on a few threads)

Heres what im thinking after what i read (feel free to correct me )

If i understand correctly mine may be a 2-row Modine that isn't made anymore so thats not really an option .

Im thinking that for how expensive the CSF 3-row is that its not a very good deal and i don't like that i read the ends are crimped and they dont seem by reports to last that long.

The Champion 2 row seems to be a better deal and isnt crimped at the ends. i saw in another thread a measurement showing that the core was same size and they claimed that it would cool just as good as the CSF 3- core.

Then theres the champion or American eagle 3-row (wich are the same if i understood correctly) that is also not crimped and cheaper than the CSF But should cool better .

Does this sound right to you guys ? Im thinking its a toss up between the 2 or 3 row Champion radiator.

Im hoping to have a long term fix here that works at least as good as what i had going on.

as far as any future strain that i might want more cooling for i think im good im at 31's dont plan on going past 33 11.50 (hopefully next year) and am geared at the axles at 4.56. and don't plan on modifying my motor for more power (it already does everything i need it to) hmm and the weight of a hybrid cage Quarter armor w tube flares rocker replacements frame stiffeners skids and rear bumper (wow i have a long way to go still)

I know this has been beat to death but at least i spent time searching first right ? any opinions would be appreciated

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat on my 95.. Need a radiator ASAP! Gotta quite driving the girlfriends Escape around at some point, ya know :) I'm definitely leaning towards all Aluminum..

I am running the Champion 2 row and it cools just fine up until the Humid southern summer heat really cranks up. But when moving over 30 mph it keeps the Jeep perfectly cool so I am thinking for me its more of a matter of getting enough air to flow across it. However I wanted to get the Champion or American Eagle (yes they are the same) 3 row but they were on backorder at the time I needed a radiator because my 7 year old CSF 3 row wasn't cutting it anymore.

Some will argue that aluminum isn't as good at conducting heat to remove the heat from the fluid but the they will turn around and say the factory radiator should be fine, which it has an aluminum core and plastic tanks that are crimped on. So Aluminum is just fine.

Go with the Champion/American Eagle it really is the best buy. 2 rows should be fine for stock to mildly built rigs and 3 row would be better on more built up rigs.

Just to let you know, Champion isn't selling the aluminum radiators for cherokees anymore (or so I was told 2 weeks ago when I sent mine back) until they figure out how to attach the lower trans line and not interfere with the body.

Just to let you know, Champion isn't selling the aluminum radiators for cherokees anymore (or so I was told 2 weeks ago when I sent mine back) until they figure out how to attach the lower trans line and not interfere with the body.

Dang thats a minor mod to get it to fit that wouldnt have bothered me (and its already trimmed out on mine)

I am running the Champion 2 row and it cools just fine up until the Humid southern summer heat really cranks up. But when moving over 30 mph it keeps the Jeep perfectly cool so I am thinking for me its more of a matter of getting enough air to flow across it. However I wanted to get the Champion or American Eagle (yes they are the same) 3 row but they were on backorder at the time I needed a radiator because my 7 year old CSF 3 row wasn't cutting it anymore.

Some will argue that aluminum isn't as good at conducting heat to remove the heat from the fluid but the they will turn around and say the factory radiator should be fine, which it has an aluminum core and plastic tanks that are crimped on. So Aluminum is just fine.

Go with the Champion/American Eagle it really is the best buy. 2 rows should be fine for stock to mildly built rigs and 3 row would be better on more built up rigs.

Cant seem to find the 3 row Champion or American eagle i think thats what i wanted to buy too so that sucks.. Anyone know where to find One? For an 01

It bothers me that if i buy the 2 row like yours (my second choice) that i may have it get hotter than it did stock .

Cant seem to find the 3 row Champion or American eagle i think thats what i wanted to buy too so that sucks.. Anyone know where to find One? For an 01

It bothers me that if i buy the 2 row like yours (my second choice) that i may have it get hotter than it did stock .

Well just so you are aware of what my Jeep is dealing with it is on 33x12.50r15 BFG KM2s with steel wheels and I drive pretty hard so if your Jeep isn't working as hard as mine then I would go for the 2 row as it was only running a little hot on the hottest of days hitting mid 90s. I know it cools pretty well once I get moving so really its a matter of getting enough air to flow across it. I am in the process of preparing to do an e-fan conversion to get more air across the radiator and relocating my trans cooler to down behind the front crossmember with its own little e-fan so that the heat is dissipates isn't going across the radiator. If you can wait I would hold out for the 3 row but if you need one right away then go for the 2 row. Think of this too you could get the 2 row now and then when Champion comes back a redesign and offers the 3 row, you can buy one and turn around and sell the 2 row locally in your chapter for probably 2/3 the price of what you bought it for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts i think i will look for the eagle champion 3 row for a week and if i cant find one
(and it looks like i cant for late models)

Ill do the 2 Row American eagle i found on ebay for $187 Shipped

I tried the egg in the rad. trick and it seems like it worked really well so hopefully that gives me some time. Winterfest is coming up and i dont meet requirements yet so this is kinda a bad time but it needs to get done.

Last edited:
ALL Metal CFS 3-Row Shipped that should fit in direct:

OPTION 2: HEAVY DUTY THREE ROW
$239.53
(includes Shipping & Lifetime Warranty)

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

Just be sure to select the correct make/model/year and read the options carefully.
Most are less expensive than replacing the P.O.S.stock Aluminum/plastic tank and are FAR Better.

Contact them directly to double check you are getting exactly what you want.

CSF, Inc.
2941 North Locust Avenue,
Rialto, California
U.S.A. 92377
Phone: (909) 355-1991
Fax: (909) 355-2149

Customer Service: [email protected]
Technical Service: [email protected] ([email protected])

Good Luck.

Last edited:
ALL Metal CFS 3-Row Shipped that should fit in direct:

OPTION 2: HEAVY DUTY THREE ROW
$239.53
(includes Shipping & Lifetime Warranty)

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

Just be sure to select the correct make/model/year and read the options carefully.
Most are less expensive than replacing the P.O.S.stock Aluminum/plastic tank and are FAR Better.

Contact them directly to double check you are getting exactly what you want.

CSF, Inc.
2941 North Locust Avenue,
Rialto, California
U.S.A. 92377
Phone: (909) 355-1991
Fax: (909) 355-2149

Customer Service: [email protected]
Technical Service: [email protected] ([email protected])

Good Luck.

Had that one it wasn't bad, it did a good job for about 5 1/2 years before I started to notice it would creep up in drive through lines and I was having to top off the overflow bottle quite often. Then this past summer (7 years from time of install) it was running hot most of the time even on the high way with plenty of air flowing across it and I had noticed a small leak coming from the passenger side of the radiator. I like the Champion because A) its cheaper and B) its better contruction i.e. no crimping. If Champion were to completely stop making their aluminum radiators all together then I would buy another CSF as I know I can get atleast 5 years out of it and it will keep my Jeep cool under tough conditions. I also would have gotten another CSF if the Champion had been more expensive than the CSF price listed above. CSF is great but for the price the Champion is, it is a far better buy.

Back