• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it worth it to swap a disco housing for a non disco?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
i have a front axle with the gearing i need in it already. it is a disconnect housing. i have a locker to throw in it and some chromoly axles as well. i do not think i need to pull the carrier to put the locker in, it's a drop in unit.
I have another axle housing which is a non disconnect. Is it worth swapping the housing just for that reason? the axles will be non disconnect anyways, and i was going to trussel the axle.

also, the ballistic fab truss kit says it's for non disco axles. anyone know if it could be used for disco axles that are not running the disconnect, perhaps with a light fabbing?

The disco housing is actually stronger. Personally I have never seen the disco break in all my years of wheeling. You can get the heavier 297 axles for the disco side as well.

after looking at them, i thought it would be stronger. i have some ten factory chromoly axles for it for now so it's not like im using the disconnect anyways. i guess i'l just use it, that way i wont have to swap gears and weld on new sway bar mounts since the ones on the non disco axle were butchered.

the housing itself is stronger on a non disco, but the passenger side UCA mount is weak.

I wouldnt regear a new housing just to loose the disco though.

the housing itself is stronger on a non disco, but the passenger side UCA mount is weak.

I wouldnt regear a new housing just to loose the disco though.
yea i'm leaning towards that myself. i ordered a truss kit for it so it probably wont be much of an issue. i called them and they said just some minor trimming is needed to work with the disco axle.

The disco housing is actually stronger. Personally I have never seen the disco break in all my years of wheeling. You can get the heavier 297 axles for the disco side as well.

I've not seen one break, but I bent mine wheeling this summer to the point where, after I got my pax side axle shaft out, it wouldn't reseat. After I pulled the whole axle out, it was visably bent.

You could always do what I did to mine. I cut the disco part of the axle off and sleeved the both sides with some 3"x.250" DOM tube.

0104001452.jpg

0204002102.jpg

Back