• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rancho 9000s vs bilstein 5150s

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
So ive narrowed down my choice to the 5150s or the RS9000.
price wise they are close so that isnt an issue.Im kinda leaning toward the ranchos because of the adjustability.Ive got procomps on there now so anything is probably gonna ride better....hahaha
I dont rock crawl and the majority of my wheelin consists of woods i want a soft riding shock because im tired of being jarred around.

specs:89 xj 5.5lift 35" maxxis bighorns,full armor and lots of weight from spares,tools ect.

What should I go with?

I've head the comment from a few folks that most people, unless you get the remote adjustment controls, end up adjusting the Ranchos to one setting and leave it there. Then they're no different than the Bilsteins.

Its true that once you find a useful setting on the Ranchos you don't adjust them much. But, you still have the capability to adjust. If you don't get valving on the Bilsteins you like, its a lot more painful to make a change. I run Rancho 9000s on my XJ and Konis on my street/autocross car (and have done so on four different street cars). When its time to replace stock shock absorbers I recommend spending extra $ to get more multi-purpose use.

Back