• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting by without an SYE?

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I have about 4.5" on my 01 XJ and have driven it 20,000+ trouble free miles with just a t case drop. I'm on 31's now but am planning on adding spacers and shackles to my 3.5 RE kit to end up around 6", so I can fit 32's. I know I can fit them now but I do NOT want to trim or get rid of my flares.

When I add the spacers and shackles I'm also going to do a Chrysler 8.25 swap and get rid of my dana 35. I've read the 8.25 pinion is about an inch longer so I'm thinking if I reuse my dana 35 driveshaft I should be ok to go higher.

Reasons I do not want to do an SYE:
I'm a broke college student.
I'm scared to death of hacking my output shaft.
I've had 0 problems with the t case drop so why change it.
I'm a very broke college student.

Any input/suggestions if this will work are greatly appreciated! :wave:

I was where you are now not long ago....I tried "getting by" without because I didn't wanna spend the money. Now my jeep is down and has been for a week while I wait on parts because my slip yoke has so much slop in it I'm scared the ds is gonna fall off. Wait a little longer and save up a little more $ and do it right the first time. You don't have to hack and tap. Do it right. New tail shaft tail housing yoke and front ds for around 250-275 and be done with it and have the confidence knowing its done right

I was where you are now not long ago....I tried "getting by" without because I didn't wanna spend the money. Now my jeep is down and has been for a week while I wait on parts because my slip yoke has so much slop in it I'm scared the ds is gonna fall off. Wait a little longer and save up a little more $ and do it right the first time. You don't have to hack and tap. Do it right. New tail shaft tail housing yoke and front ds for around 250-275 and be done with it and have the confidence knowing its done right
he's stuck with the h&t since he has the 242 isnt he?

Hmmm ha yeah I didn't see that I guess....I swear that wasn't there when I replied haha but still that would be better then nothing and having the assurance of knowing its done would be much better then have to worry about it. 6" without is just sketchy

If I get Iron Rock's hack and tap with the front driveshaft will it be good for 6" of lift? And I'm still scared to death that I'd screw up the output shaft when I try and cut it. How much would a shop charge me to do it?

Thanks!

wow i have about 4.5" of lift and 31's and i had to trim a ton, and it still rubs.
your doing it wrong...

41303_111459268908498_100001332774399_75099_2641384_n.jpg

31s, RE 4.5" lift. barely rubbed. i know it looks stuffed, but it never tore anything off from lock to lock. cutting did give me piece if mind though. and when i cut, none of the metal was damaged.

as someone who just installed a SYE, after "getting by" for 4 years. youll want it. id never been in a vehicle with one equipt, so i didnt know what i was missing. now im a believer, and dont know how i lived without it. it was a night and day difference.

i did the hack and tap... never seen anyone do it, never helped anyone. never watched... its not hard. and im by no means an accomplished mechanic, more of a mcguyver. biggest things would be to take your time, move slow, and use quality bits and taps. i think tom woods does sell some sort of replacement shaft for the 242, but its just a milled, and hacked, and tapped shaft. youll be required to send your old one in as a core.

I got by on a transfer case drop for 4 years. Granted, I have 94 which is a little bit better with the vibs than the 96+.

My advice: GET THE SYE.

I just installed one last week on mine. If you get the IRO one, you will not be disappointed. Do yourself a favor and get the drill and tap set that they offer for $20 more.

I thought the same as you. But, you will be surprised at how easy it is to drill into the mainshaft.

Measure, pull driveshaft, start the Jeep and put it in reverse. It will help with cutting. Then, put the yoke on, mark where to drill, and the drill a pilot hole with the smaller bit. Make sure you drilling straight though. IE, the shaft and drill are on the same plane.

Then slowly tap it out. Using lots of penetrating oil and backing the tap out to get the crap out.

2 rotations in, 1 out..

Only took me 30 mins to do. Best $120 I have ever spent.

Save up for the SYE, driving like that with minor vibes will wear out your output bearings and your pinion bearings/seals. Just because you might not feel the vibes your driveshaft will be putting stress on the outputs of both the transfercase and the rear axle pinion.

With 32s you will rub regardless of your height, you will need to trim and/or bumpstop if you wheel at all.

your doing it wrong...

41303_111459268908498_100001332774399_75099_2641384_n.jpg

31s, RE 4.5" lift. barely rubbed. i know it looks stuffed, but it never tore anything off from lock to lock. cutting did give me piece if mind though. and when i cut, none of the metal was damaged.
might be wheel offset then? i just mangled the top of my fender with my tire fully flexed out. my wheels probably have a little less backspacing than stock, but that's how it came and i havent found new wheels yet.

but back on topic, i dont have any vibrations and mine has a 4.5 lift in the back. i do not have a sye or tcase drop.
one factor is that i have a manual trans so the driveshaft is a little longer. this might help some as the angle wont be as bad, however little of a difference that may make. it's my theory anyways... it's been lifted like this for a very long time, probably 10+ years and does fine.

might be wheel offset then? i just mangled the top of my fender with my tire fully flexed out. my wheels probably have a little less backspacing than stock, but that's how it came and i havent found new wheels yet.
could be backspacing...
but back on topic, i dont have any vibrations and mine has a 4.5 lift in the back. i do not have a sye or tcase drop.
one factor is that i have a manual trans so the driveshaft is a little longer. this might help some as the angle wont be as bad, however little of a difference that may make. it's my theory anyways... it's been lifted like this for a very long time, probably 10+ years and does fine.
mine is a manual too. the SYE deffinantly improved my ride quality.

I am running 37x12.50x17s on 5.5 to 6 inches of lift....with no SYE. Although I am running a next gen Dana 44 rear and Rubi JK Dana 44 front so I was able to adjust the pinion angle when I put the rear under it. No vibrations :)

I will be adding a SYE so I can stretch the rear though.

Back