• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will 31x10.5 tire fit in spare location on 2001 xj?

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
In the back inside, where the spare is now, the 225/75r15 is pretty tight .. Need to know if 31x10.5 will also fit back there..

i had a 30x9.5x15 in my spare location, really hated it though now im looking into a swing out tire carrier to put the spare were it belongs.

Using Go Jeep's seat back relocation brackets (a must!), a 10.50 X 33 X 15 BFG KO, on a 8 X 15 rim fits fine. Had to massage the wheel well a little, easy with a 5-lb hammer.
This is the best picture I have.

8423705267_60779b6835.jpg
[/URL]
33 X 10.50-15 BFG KO in stock position by lw5315us, on Flickr[/img]

I have a 31 in my stock location, just had to remove the black shelf thing thats bolted to the floor.

If the OP has some way of air(oba,compressor,etc...) you can also deflate your tire to low psi to let it fit well. I have a 31" in mine with the metal bracket removed and the tire deflated and it fits with no issue with the sound bar, rear seat, and hatch.

It's the distance between the rear seat back and the frame around the hatch that limits tire diameter and requires the seat latch extension.
An inflated 33" tire fits overhead, including missing the sound bar, after slight reshaping of the wheel well to accommodate its profile.
I still use the stock hold-down bolt.

Like I said earlier my 31/ 10.50 fit without any mods but it was tight, to make it easier I should have taken off the hardware that holds it in and straightened it.

My new 33" does not fit very well, I hammered the wheel well to fit it better and straightened the mounting hardware to make it easier to get the thing in there.
And still had to deflate and use ratchet straps to fit it .
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904&page=10

I am thinking of laying it flat in the back and building storage around it. or I may pull the seat back cover and trim the top corner of the seat back a bit or even see If I could cut into the hatch plastic or metal a bit.

People sit back there and its uncomfortable enough without moving the seat bracket forward.

Back