• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

something new for the renix people

ibnkrdyou

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 87 4.0 has been acting kinda strange. When I go to start the truck I can't just put the key in and crank it over. I have to put the key in accessory for a few seconds then crank it. If I just try to turn it like normal it wont crank. All the gauges and radio and stuff turn on but no crankie crankie. I've replaced the big silver starter relay, the starter itself, both battery cables, and the ignition switch. I cleaned up all the grounds at the dipstick tube bolt and added an extra engine body ground. It randomly gives me the problem of the engine not turning off but everything else does. Then I have to disconnect the coil to shut it off. I tried disconnecting the battery and the two wire plug from the alternator and it just kept going. Thats when I was totally mind-boggled. Im running out of things to change. Any help is appreciated. :doh:

You need to adjust the new ignition switch position, on the column. It is a bit of an art locking it down with the screw and nut in just the right sweet spot. It is in a bind right now. There is about 1/4 to 3/8" of adjustable location, via the slot in the ignition switch where the screw mount goes in.

Loosen the lock down nut, and screw, and try adjusting it until you get it right. There may be a write up somewhere on how to do it right the first time? But that is your problem.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like ign switch adjustment. I've never been into the ign lock and linkage on an Xj. Maybe theres enough wear at the ign lock and linkage that it's out of alignment unless you turn it back to Acc and then turn it to start. Just a thought.

I know the key itself looks very new. I know that doesn't mean much cause it could just be a newly cut key but the cylinder isn't all scratched up like it would be after 25 years. But hey, new born babies die sadly.. even if its new that could be the problem. Im open to anything at this point. I guess I could try moving the switch as far as it can go one way to see if it changes anything. I just find it odd that the problem stayed the same before and after I changed the switch. Once again, thanks for the imput.

Just off memeory, I held the key in the ACC position, slid the switch all the way down to put it in the ACC position, then tightened the srcews.

It usually takes me at least three tries installing a new switch to find the sweet spot on my 85, 87 and 89. I have yet to get it perfect on the first 2 tries. Part of the problem is tightening the nut and screw seems to move the damn switch at the last turn and put it in a bind IIRC.

I also had a new one go bad after just a few months!!! China JUNK!!!

With the new switch not installed, hook up the harness and use a screw driver to slide the switch to start.

This way your eliminating the rod and narrowing down the problem.

When I put my new switch in I lubed the rod up:gee: before bolting stuff back together, seemed to help alot.

Back