• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bondo and frame stiffeners

praetorian

NAXJA Forum User
So I had cracks on my rear drivers side frame rail for years now. Today I finally decided I would weld them up so I could install the HD Offroad rear frame plates. When I ground the surface of the cracks a discovered bondo. I chipped some of it away and discover it's pretty thick. I know I need to get all of the bondo gone at the areas I plan on welding. Any recommendations for removal of the bondo. Or is this just going to take patience and elbow grease.

6727326687_9efb5ecae3.jpg

:roflmao:

Looks like somebody halfass fake fixed that framerail. I bet the jeep got rearended or something and this was the result of a crappy body shop. They just covered over the frame damage.

I like a coarse wire wheel to chip bondo away, sanding it with a flap disc always makes a huge dusty mess for me. Whatever you do wear a face shield and a paint mask, you don't want to be breathing that crap in. I would start looking for other tweaked areas as well and strip the whole rail on both sides and the bottom from front to back to see if there are any other hidden gems that could become a problem later on.

Just keep in mind that if you get rear ended and the frame rail has a buckle like that, Your jeep is not going to hold up very well and hopefully you have no passengers in the back seat if it happens! Gonna have the XJ Taco. That is a very structal part of the rig.

As thick as it is, I would start with a hammer and a wood chisel to knock off the majority of the disaster. Be afraid of what you are going to fing under all that stuff. Finish with a flappy disk as wire wheels are known to throw wire into eyes...

Use a grinder and wire wheel.. Or a roloc disk. Dont try to chip it out. That will take forever.. Wear eye protection and dust mask.. Its to bad ya found this now. your gonna have a hard time puttin frame stiffys on with the frame damaged like that..

seriously :dunce:

who the eff doesn't use a face shield with an angle grinder????

::slowly raises hand::
I agree though, not using wire wheels, because they throw wire occasionally, is akin to not driving a car, because car accidents happen all the time!
Grow a pair, they pull right out.

Wow......I've seen some shotty work when customers come in paying cash saying fix this dent cheap as possible on a quarter or door.....BUT A RAIL?! WTH

Back