• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quadrated HD Springs + AAL ... Need some Advice

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought Quadrated HD rear springs (needed a new leaf pack anyway). Didn't quite get the 2 inches i had hoped for.

Other than sitting a bit lopsided thanks to different shackle angles, the springs work well.

There's always a ton of crap in the back of my XJ and I always have weight in the back when wheeling (tools, parts). This makes the back sit a lot lower than the front.

I'd like to get a full length AAL. I know they generally aren't adviseable as they give a still ride and kill the main leaf. I figure I should be okay since there is always a ton of junk in the back and I have new HD rear springs.

I only want to get a MAX of 3'' of lift. I have no issues clearing the tires when flexing ... the main issue is the back settling back to stock height when loaded up and catching the receiver on rocks occasionally.

What's recommended to get a true 2'' - 3'' of lift with the HD springs?

Those QT springs are simply Crown replacements for Up Country springs.

Miller, 2" full AAL? Stick a cut down main or second leaf from your old springs in?

I'd like to get a full length AAL. I know they generally aren't adviseable as they give a still ride and kill the main leaf.

A full length AAL makes the suspension about 10-20% stiffer, and if it spans from both spring eyes, will not sag the leaf spring.

Short/thick overload type AAL are guilty on both counts.

A HD replacement leaf pack with a 2.5" RE full length AAL will give you about 3 - 3.5" of lift and will last a good long time. I ran an RE 2.5" AAL and an extra stock leaf for years, 4wheeled it, and hauled 350+ lbs of cargo often. Never sagged.

Cut the spring eyes off your old spring pack main leaf, and put them into the new HD pack. You should end up with about 2 - 2.5" of lift.

Ive got the Crown HD leafs in the back of my DD. The leafs themselves are supposed to be good for ~1" of lift. I added an extra stock main leaf to my pack. The jeep sat at a good 2.5" of lift after install. After a few years of road duty and a couple of abusive wheeling trips, both of which I usually had some good wieght in the back, I added some small .5" or .75" lift shackles to compensate for the leafs having settled. Today, Im probably sitting around the 2.5 lift area. Ive been overall impressed with the leafs considering what Ive put them through, they see a good amount of axle wrap too. Here's how the jeep sits now with some 31" Toyos:

rivhp1.jpg

A full length AAL makes the suspension about 10-20% stiffer, and if it spans from both spring eyes, will not sag the leaf spring.

Short/thick overload type AAL are guilty on both counts.

A HD replacement leaf pack with a 2.5" RE full length AAL will give you about 3 - 3.5" of lift and will last a good long time. I ran an RE 2.5" AAL and an extra stock leaf for years, 4wheeled it, and hauled 350+ lbs of cargo often. Never sagged.

Cut the spring eyes off your old spring pack main leaf, and put them into the new HD pack. You should end up with about 2 - 2.5" of lift.

So a full length AAL would put me way over 2 inches of lift? I gave away the original springs as the main spring was TOAST. What if I went with the second spring out of my original pack?

Ive got the Crown HD leafs in the back of my DD. The leafs themselves are supposed to be good for ~1" of lift. I added an extra stock main leaf to my pack. The jeep sat at a good 2.5" of lift after install. After a few years of road duty and a couple of abusive wheeling trips, both of which I usually had some good wieght in the back, I added some small .5" or .75" lift shackles to compensate for the leafs having settled. Today, Im probably sitting around the 2.5 lift area. Ive been overall impressed with the leafs considering what Ive put them through, they see a good amount of axle wrap too. Here's how the jeep sits now with some 31" Toyos:
2.5 is about perfect. I don't want a BIG jeep, I just want it to sit level.

2nd leaf should get you close. If anything get a pair of MJ shackles or HDOffroad relocation brackets.

how new is your leaf pack? if its new, i wouldnt take it apart. but im the kind of person that doesnt like to "fix" brand new stuff...

shackle relocation brackets and lift shackles have my vote.

if thats not enough, well... AAL time.

The springs are less than a year old. Right around 6 months or so.

I've heard bad things about shackle lifts. Should I try this instead? I'm worried that a larger shackle will kill the leaf pack.

For a stock leaf spring pack, an extra leaf is better and stronger than an extended shackle, which will most likely accelerate sagging.

For a stock leaf spring pack, an extra leaf is better and stronger than an extended shackle, which will most likely accelerate sagging.

There's really not much of a price difference between the two. I *do* carry heavy loads in the back of my XJ on occasion and I'll be doing some towing with it over the summer.

The Quadratec HD leaves aren't really that heavy duty, are they?

I think I'm going to get a full length AAL.

I have never broken apart a leaf pack before but I'll figure it out

If you're even contemplating longer shackles, i'd go with a set of shackle relocation brackets first, Rough Country makes a set for $125 that guys are having good results with. This will give you another 1+" lift, a little better articulation, as well as take care of ANY issues with shackle angles and leaf spring longevity. Plus they're a direct bolt in. Easy-Cheezy. If you are Dead Set on doing an AAL make sure you have on hand a set of C-clamps, they'll come in handy when doing this.
An AAL rebuild inst so bad, honestly can be done in a couple-few hours. Just be sure to liberally PB blast everything well ahead of time to make it easier on yourself. Honestly, I'd just buy a set of 3" leaf packs and call it a day. I think you'll have better results in the long run. Especially if your hauling gear/tools/parts a lot of the time.

If you're even contemplating longer shackles, i'd go with a set of shackle relocation brackets first, Rough Country makes a set for $125 that guys are having good results with. This will give you another 1+" lift, a little better articulation, as well as take care of ANY issues with shackle angles and leaf spring longevity. Plus they're a direct bolt in. Easy-Cheezy. If you are Dead Set on doing an AAL make sure you have on hand a set of C-clamps, they'll come in handy when doing this.
An AAL rebuild inst so bad, honestly can be done in a couple-few hours. Just be sure to liberally PB blast everything well ahead of time to make it easier on yourself. Honestly, I'd just buy a set of 3" leaf packs and call it a day. I think you'll have better results in the long run. Especially if your hauling gear/tools/parts a lot of the time.

I thought about going with an actual 3'' lift kit when I lifted the jeep. Truth is, that's too big. I just want a true 2'' out of my Jeep. I'm not looking to go huge and have to do SYE, more extended brake lines, etc.

Back