• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping an 89 cherokee manual tranny into an 91 cherokee help

Manual trans crossmember from the 89. But why would you want to use a pukegoat POS?

You know, I'm tired of the poor Peugeot trans getting a bad rap. I've got well over 300,000km on my '89 and its never had a problem. I've got a mild lift and 31" muds. I'm just a weekend wheeler, but its been through snow, rock, mud and sand, and I'll b*t$h and moan about other break downs I've had way before my gear box (except the fill plug). Anyway, you may have to fab up a xmember, and don't forget about d/shaft length.

Say what you want.... there's a lot more reports of problems with those Peugeot transmissions than with the Aisin-Warner transmissions. Personally, I wouldn't touch one on a dare.

Erik, you do want to get the crossmember and the mount from the donor. If the mount is rotted, be forewarned that it's an expensive part.

Also forgot.. if it's 3wd you will need the 21-spl t-case to go with that pukegoat, as your 91 is 23-spl

yea i know that tranny doesn't have the most supporters but its outta of my old jeep and it has a sye, the issue is that once the crossmember is bolted up its sitting back to far to support the tranny properly, looks like there are holes drilled a few inches forward on the uni body rails but no threads

Wait a minute... SYE? This is 2wd? Or are you taking transmission and transfercase?

Be interesting too see if the newer crank sensor works with the old bell housing and flywheel.

Back