• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question ( well this weeks)

Armycain

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and spent hours looking first ok yes I am a noob but usually a self efficient noob. I just purchased a 97 xj 4dr and I'm looking at lift options I've not made up my mind on which company and don't really care about company. My question is what other things will I need that do not come in the lift kit? I was thinking a 3" lift because it is my dd and play toy in one and I don't want to deal with sye or too much other pieces. Also it will be a spring lift no block or aal. Thanks

3in on a 97 means you will probably need a Slip Yolk Eliminator or at the least a t-case drop to correct driveline vibrations.

Some kits come with extended sway bar links, some don't so you might have to get a pair.

Never say company doesn't matter when it come to a DD. You definitely want a mostly smooth ride and cheaper companies tend to focus on offroad capabilities and not street comfort. I personally went cheap also piecing together various parts (mostly Rough Country) and it works offroad but on the street its pretty "rough"! I can deal with it hear and there. Mostly just the drives to take it offroad but I would hate to make 40 mile round trip 5 days a week drive to work in it. At 3" you may or not need a TC drop. Most will say do it for piece of mind. I went 4.5 - 5" and there was a slew of parts I kept buying. New driveshafts, SYE, swaybar drop brackets, longer brake lines, etc. I'm sure there is people out there with bigger lifts than mine who DD their ride but they are probably using better parts! My Rough Country parts have worked well and I've never broken one of their parts but then again I'm not a "hardcore" wheeler. Just simple stuff in TSF!

I only said company doesn't matter because I wasn't looking for 10 post saying get this one not this one. I understand people have alot of brand loyalty. I was figuring a tc drop anyhow but I'm really not wanting to do new driveshaft, sye, or control arms. I'm used to old school solid axle front ends like in my old Ramcharger that was easy lift 4 springs and line ext. Thanks for the input

You don't ALWAY'S Nedra sye. I went 4" on my 2000 and it only needed a TC drop kit.

You just basically need:
Lift
Shocks
Extended brake lines
Extended sway bar end links
Adjustable track bar
You can but I wouldn't keep my stock lower control arms.

Generally I think that's it, but I just woke up so I'm only partially here ;-)

You don't ALWAY'S Nedra sye. I went 4" on my 2000 and it only needed a TC drop kit.

You just basically need:
coils springs or coil spacers
extended or relocated front brake lines
adjustable or relocated track bar

stock arm will work, but your not going to get the most out of your droop. id recommend new lowers at least. new uppers, preferably adjustable if you can swing it.

full leaf pack or AAL
Extended rear brake lines
Shackles

Generally I think that's it, but I just woke up so I'm only partially here ;-)
fixed it for ya.

but our opinions may differ. its all a matter of the OPs opinions... will it be wheeled? street queen? high school budget or no expense spared? obviously whats on the left of the "or"s is preferred over the right side.

for what its worth... i went 4.5" on my '97 with a Tcase drop. 4 years later, i installed a SYE and dont know how i survived without it for 4 years. immediate difference.

lift and wait to see if you have vibes then do s.y.e.

I'm at 4" and had no vibes without sye or drop and I drove it for a year and when rear dshaft ujoints went bad (after 240, mi.) I did sye and cv shaft. Shimmed the shaft to proper angle and VOILA! Rides the same..

really did the sye for improving driveline agle to hopefully have long ujoint life

mines an 01 auto btw

Last edited:
It's my dd and I don't plan on any hardcore wheeling but don't mind going off road with it when I want to. I'm looking to stay around the 500 to 600 dollar range for the lift.

I have the RC 4.5" kit on my 00 and I ended up needing adjustable uppers to correct caster, and a Sye to mostly stop vibrations (they were bad even with a t-case drop) I believe the low pinion front axle is to blame as I still have them a little, but I haven't changed pinion angle on the back yet other than the 1.5" shackles . All that I know for sure is that it was nearly un-driveable before the Sye and drive shaft. I would budget for those from the get go.

fixed it for ya.

for what its worth... i went 4.5" on my '97 with a Tcase drop. 4 years later, i installed a SYE and dont know how i survived without it for 4 years. immediate difference.

Thanks.

I went with 4" of lift on my 89' with 2" coils I had from my first lift, I bought some 2" coil spacers, Some iron rock Offroad fixed LCA's, iron rock Offroad double sheer track bar, crown 4" extended brake lines. Made a bastard pack with some s-10 leaf springs I didn't need a TC drop or a sye.

I also Did bar pin eliminators front and rear, upper shock conversion with bilstein 5150 shocks.

I'm pretty happy with what i have it performs very well

I'd do the BPE's again, I personally like the peace of mind knowing that the shock mount is a bit stronger. So it sounds like you've got your plan for the rear all figured out- full leaf swap. Good idea. I may recommend using the Jack-it Leaf Spring Eye bolt kit, it'll make your install go alot easier. http://www.jackit.com/suspension-parts/springs-and-accessories/spring-eyebolt-kits/jac1022.html
They're only $25, and I cant imagine how I would've done the leaf swap on my 99 w/o these. Your T-case issues (IF they arise at all) can be addressed after the fact.
For the front, at 3" I'd recommend at least some new lower control arms, you dont have to go adjustable, and a decent set of fixed can be obtained for a relatively low investment. Springs are a dime a dozen, spend your big money on decent shocks and tires. Dont forget about your track bar. At three inches a relocation bracket will be a must. You may be able to get away w/o having to use an adjustable, and I think the brackets are less than $30.- http://www.4ws.com/jeep-cherokee-gr...base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product-feed
You can relocate your front brake lines but may not be necessary at 3".
A TJ rear brake line can be swapped in the rear for pretty cheap too.
Maybe think about upgrading your steering stabilizer while your under there. Those are pretty cheap too.
Invest in a little torch, (you're gonna need it) and a few cans of PB blaster, and be sure to have a good sized breaker bar on hand. Happy lifting!
http://www.jackit.com/suspension-parts/springs-and-accessories/spring-eyebolt-kits/jac1022.html

It's my dd and I don't plan on any hardcore wheeling but don't mind going off road with it when I want to. I'm looking to stay around the 500 to 600 dollar range for the lift.

:) I paid $29 for 2" coil springs spacers $20 for 2" lift coils $35 for s-10 leafs... The track bar was 189 but it's pure beef 129 for my fixed LCA's and they are beef too. Brake likes were $100 for new, shocks were $105 a piece, but u can get cheap shocks for $100 to all four... Bottom line is lifts add up fast just buy wise and buy once. This is my 3rd lift... And I'm glad I spent the $$ on the shocks

I'm going to be ordering a RC 3" lift series 2 lift with Coil springs, lower control arms and sway bar drop bracket and new rear leafs. Thanks for the help and input.

I'm gonna stick with the 3" lift I don't go wheeling or to places where I would need more than that and with 3" lift it makes it easier for me to get in and out of

Back