• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ steering up-grade

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is more of an informative post to help out those who may be looking to do the same up-grade. First off, I spent a lot of time deciding whether to go with a Currie set-up, Moog ZJ steering, or AutoZone ZJ steering. If I had the funds, I would have gone with a Currie set-up no questions asked, but being priced at $450 it was way out of my budget. So Moog was my second choice, but to do a complete Mood set up (Tie rod, Drag link, TRE's and adjuster's) I was looking at a little over $300...I just couldnt justify that for basicly "stock" steering. I started looking around at doing a Chevy 1ton setup, but then you got to re-locate the track-bar bla bla bla. Not what I was looking to do. My other thought was just doing a tie rod upgrade, but I would still be stuck with small TRE's. Thus, the AutoZone ZJ upgrade. I must say the TRE's are considerably bigger, of course the tie-rod was bigger, but what I didnt expect (because I never read anything about it) was that the drag link was way bigger than the stock XJ one. So if your wanting to do this upgrade I say go for it! I couldnt be happier. and for about $140 total I cant complain.

These are the part numbers you will need:

DS1312
DS1311
ES3096 (You need 2 of these)
ES2079S (You need 2 of these also)

With those part numbers you will have everything you need to replace your complete steering setup. I hope these part numbers will help somebody out, because I had a hard time finding the part number for the drag-link and TRE that goes at the pit-man arm. The AutoZone computer shows the part number for the pit-man arm TRE as ES3095, which is wrong.

My only other recommendation would be to relocate the tie-rod above the knuckle. I will be doing this soon.

Last edited:
If you searched here you would have found a ton of info on it with part numbers included. Might have saved you some parts store time. I posted in one of the longer one awhile back and put the part numbers in it. They where moog numbers but where the same numbers as you posted.

Got part numbers?:yap:

ES2233L - tie rod pass
ES2026R - draglink pitman arm
ES2027L - draglink tie rod
ES2234R - tie rod driver

*these of course involve reaming or drilling and tapered inserts to work with XJ knuckles and pitman arm, p/n's taken straight from the JCR page

Last edited:
get some pics of this upgraded drag link, they use the same one on tjs xjs and zjs.... the v8 tie rod is an upgrade but I've yet to see a bigger drag link

I did the v8 upgrade and it lasted for a while but I eventually broke those stupid adjusting sleeves on the drag link, put my purse down and did a 1 ton OTK setup and can't complain anymore. If your running 33s or smaller the v8 upgrade is nice but those drag link and tie rod sleeves become the weak point along with the small tie rod end at the pitman arm.

I think I spent $120 or $130 on Amazon for the Moog parts -- tie rod setup only as the V8 draglink is not an upgrade for the 91+ AFAIK (not sure of exact cutover, but I think the Renix ones have the smaller draglinks). Just a heads up to those searching.

ES2233L - tie rod pass
ES2026R - draglink pitman arm
ES2027L - draglink tie rod
ES2234R - tie rod driver

*these of course involve reaming or drilling and tapered inserts to work with XJ knuckles and pitman arm, p/n's taken straight from the JCR page
These dont seriosly work wiht an OEM XJ Tie Rod do they?
I mean that thing is only like ,125 wall isnt it? And about as big around as a pinky finger.....

Back