• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch mounted spare tire carrier

5150caz

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever made or used a hitch mounted tire carrier for their spare tire? Mine is in the back with my box of tools, tow strap, etc. and between that stuff and three kids in the back I have no room for anything else. I have seen some pictures on other forums but want some opinions on how strong they are and how well they work.

http://www.detoursusa.com/ makes one called the knuckle-bone i have the backbone AND tailbone systems and i love em both. guys name is Mark tell him i sent ya. my good buddy Brian is running the knuckle-bone and is absolutely in love with it! hope that gives you an option!

OP: how big of a spare? up to a good 32/baldish 33" will fit in the stock location

Which "stock" location are you referring to? I am running 31's and can't get the hatch closed if I put one in the back of my 96. I'm not trying to start sh!t I'm just curious if there is another place that I'm unaware of.

Huh, ok that's where I thought you meant. Yeah I dunno, but in my cargo area between the seat and hatch I can't fit my 31" bfg's. I tried puttin a spare back there when I first got it and I'm about 3" short of closing the hatch. Does anyone know if the cargo area in a 96 sport is smaller than the other models?

maybe 2 door vs. 4 door? shouldnt matter, but ya never know. also, when did they change the hatch? 98?
have you tried lifting the tire up a little so it's sitting more on the wheel hump? i have a 91, i was hoping to put a spare 31 there but havent tried yet.

Nope, they're identical. It'll fit. You aren't holding your mouth right.

If I can fit 4 35's in the back of mine I'm sure you can manage one 31.

To be fair, it is a pain, but it will fit. I tried the tire on a roof basket thing as well, made my jeep too tippy. Plus getting it up and down by myself was an accident waiting to happen.

i've tried that excuse before, trust me, she still gets mad.

1) He, not she
2) Not mad
3) This is a chapter forum, not a tech forum. If you look directly under any chapter forum it says:
"Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums."

1) He, not she
2) Not mad
3) This is a chapter forum, not a tech forum. If you look directly under any chapter forum it says:
"Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums."
wow that totally went over your head.

Back