• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV242 won't go back into 2wd (1989 xj)

revmeup

NAXJA Forum User
Searched and couldnt find this. Xfer case goes into all gears and seems fine but when I try to get it back into 2wd it feels like it is still in 4wd or binding up. Checked the linkage and all seems correct.

I was shifting from fwd to rev and driving about 20ft and then something went bang and now it's back in 2wd. Haven't tried to put it back in 4wd since.

Thoughts?

Shift fork pads may be bad in it. My buddy put his into 4wd for the first time and his locked up.

Ours does the same. If I can roll at low speed, it usually drops right in. If not, I reverse a few feet and drive forward.

My 242 does the same. Fresh fluid tends to help a little bit but it seems normal from the other 242 owners I have talked to. It can take up to ~50 yards (and a good clunk) for it to go into 2wd once I throw the level into 2wd.

At speed, in a straight line: Let off the gas, make shift, tap gas and let off. This t-case was designed to shift between the 2 and 4 wheel drive high ranges "on the fly".

x2 on what cruiser said. mine shifts ealier when at speed. not just slowly rolling. i try and make the shift fast and firm as well.

Got done doing some snow wheelin Saturday. Just before hitting the street I slipped the auto trans into "N" and the moved the xfer case into 2wd and all seems OK.

Back