• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad U-joint?

XJVenom

NAXJA Forum User
Does this u-joint look bad to you? My Jeep is drifting to the right and I'm thinking this may be the culprit.. Picture is from the front driver's side, BTW.

Looks like I'll be replacing this over the weekend. Not bad I suppose considering it's gone through over 260k and 20+ years.
Could this be the cause of a slight pull to the right? I already checked my tire pressure and alignment.

I can't see the left u-joint causing a pull to the right-- it should cause more rolling resistance on the left and a pull to the left. All that said, I'd still change it and it's right-side companion before I started hunting for other problems-- the right-side one may be just as bad internally and cause the pull.

Dead universal joint

Just swapped out the bad u-joint this weekend. The pictures are pretty clear of how bad it was.

The symptom of pulling to the right has disappeared after I replaced this universal joint, BUT I also changed the brakes at the same time. So I'm not exactly sure which one caused the problem.

I changed both sides on mine a couple years ago, it's amazing how trashed those bearings were. Years of PO care at the kwiky lube left the 'grease gun needle port' covered up with gunk. I never knew they were serviceable up front until I hammered the balls out of them and all the gunk came off.

I replaced them with Napa (federal mogul) serviceable u-joints. The "heavy duty" ones might be stronger, but the 4.0 doesn't put out 500 horsepower, and after a lot of wheeling you can grease them 'flushing' the dirt/water that gets into them out.

I replaced just the one side with a spicer non-greasable. The other side was replaced a few years back with the same kind and still felt solid and sounded fine. The cap with the "larvae" has the remains of bearing needles cut into pieces, while the others had nothing but rust left in them. Only one seemed to survive with bearings intact!

I envy you. I see I need a new u joint and think 2 new u joints. new hubs. wheel bearings. tie rod ends. track bar bushings. control arm bushings. and new u joints in the d shafts as well. if Im doing rear d shaft then why not an see at the same time. then bam. AMEX bill comes. and I go to costco and get another 48 pack of ramen. :D

Back