• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throwing codes after Transmission swap (No Start)

XJ?2010

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help on getting my Jeep running here hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a 2000 XJ I just swapped a NV3550 (manual) into it. It was an AW4 (auto). Overall the swap went well. If you have any questions feel free to ask. But now my problem is she wont start. The starter turns over the motor but it doesn't even act like its trying to start ie. sputtering ect. now I bypassed my NSS so that the ECM thinks the trans is in neutral my understanding of this would be if it was just unplugged it wouldn't crank at all. But I did not try to start is without it bypassed so im not sure. Its throwing 2 codes both having to deal with the transmission (go figure)

P0753
-Shift Solenoid, A electrical

P0743
-Torque Converter, Clutch solenoid, circuit electrical

Im assuming these have to do deal with the extra connecters I have from the manual not having senors. Is there anyway to bypass these sensors?

Any help would be great its killing me after 3 days of work being so close to driving it.

Did you use the correct fly wheel for the PCM? Did you happen to bump the CPS when installing the fly wheel? The transmission codes shouldn't prevent it from starting, but did you unplug the transmission computer?

Need some help on getting my Jeep running here hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a 2000 XJ I just swapped a NV3550 (manual) into it. It was an AW4 (auto). Overall the swap went well. If you have any questions feel free to ask. But now my problem is she wont start. The starter turns over the motor but it doesn't even act like its trying to start ie. sputtering ect. now I bypassed my NSS so that the ECM thinks the trans is in neutral my understanding of this would be if it was just unplugged it wouldn't crank at all. But I did not try to start is without it bypassed so im not sure. Its throwing 2 codes both having to deal with the transmission (go figure)

P0753
-Shift Solenoid, A electrical

P0743
-Torque Converter, Clutch solenoid, circuit electrical

Im assuming these have to do deal with the extra connecters I have from the manual not having senors. Is there anyway to bypass these sensors?

Any help would be great its killing me after 3 days of work being so close to driving it.
those are just missing solenoids for controlling the auto trans, they won't prevent the jeep from starting just set a CEL.

X2 on what Talyn said, did you use the right year flywheel? Are you sure you got the CPS properly installed? All cables back where you removed them from during the swap?

Do the auto transmission and manual transmission XJs use different engine control computers? That might cause no-start problems after a transmission swap.

Do the auto transmission and manual transmission XJs use different engine control computers? That might cause no-start problems after a transmission swap.

Yes, yes they did...

The PCM is looking for signals from the TCM it is not getting so it is tossing out transmission codes. You can swap between transmision types on pre 96 XJs without much of a bother. the OBDII (96+) Heeps are another story. Need to find a PCM from a manual transmission equipped Heep. It will need to be the same year as well. Check the local Pull and Pays or http://www.car-part.com/ to find one. What you will find on line will be a tad more pricey.

I Installed a flywheel for a 2000 which is my year so I know thats right. I did not unplug the TCM. Its located under the center console correct? The CPS is plugged in but I did have a hard time getting the trans to line up so maybe I bumped it on the flywheel I can pull it out and take a look.

In all the research I have done on this swap i've never heard of someone having to swap a PCM not saying it doesn't have to be done tho.

the ecu is different, but on XJs the ECU has nothing to do with the starter motor or anything trans related, it just passes on diagnostic check codes from the TCU.

Yes, yes they did...

The PCM is looking for signals from the TCM it is not getting so it is tossing out transmission codes. You can swap between transmision types on pre 96 XJs without much of a bother. the OBDII (96+) Heeps are another story. Need to find a PCM from a manual transmission equipped Heep. It will need to be the same year as well. Check the local Pull and Pays or http://www.car-part.com/ to find one. What you will find on line will be a tad more pricey.
the split is actuallt 96- and 97+ in this case, since the 96 TCU is just as dumb as the earlier ones. I tested this on my old 96 by unplugging the entire trans harness (except the NSS and it was only actually needed to start) and then driving home from work. Ran fine, no codes, no issues except obviously I was missing 2nd gear and had no torque converter lockup.

Installed a new CPS and it started right up thanks guys
Great to hear! I had a suspicion it was CPS related. This is one reason I always either assemble my drivetrain outside the vehicle and then install sensors, or install the CPS after getting the trans seated correctly.

Back