• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas transfer case ?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
So after a looooong week of being on call and lots of ot hours :laugh: I have decided to buy an atlas transfer case. I am thinking two speed 4.3 to 1. I have a 1998 xj with and aw4 auto trans. I spoke with atlas today and he recommended the 3.8 to 1 because of the auto trans. Anybody have any experience with either or even the 4 speed in an xj with the aw4?

So after a looooong week of being on call and lots of ot hours :laugh: I have decided to buy an atlas transfer case. I am thinking two speed 4.3 to 1. I have a 1998 xj with and aw4 auto trans. I spoke with atlas today and he recommended the 3.8 to 1 because of the auto trans. Anybody have any experience with either or even the 4 speed in an xj with the aw4?

With the auto id go with the 3.8 5spd id do 4.3 or 5.0, with the ax15 and 4.3 atlas my 4th gear low range is deeper the 1st highrange:D

Specs on rig...I.E.---tire size ...r/p gearing...type of wheeling ...If running 35's an atlas is probably a waste of money .

Specs on rig...I.E.---tire size ...r/p gearing...type of wheeling ...If running 35's an atlas is probably a waste of money .

what does tire size have to do with anything? if someone wants a tcase that they will never have to worry about and have the money let em go for it

Sorry, about not posting specs ;). 37's, 4.88's, 4 link in the back, 3 link up front. And Phil just gave me the answer I was looking for. I wheel in the sierras around Fresno so it sounds like I'm gonna be happy! Thanks guys.

what does tire size have to do with anything? if someone wants a tcase that they will never have to worry about and have the money let em go for it

Tire size has to do with need for gearing and 35's do not really need deeper than 2.72 with 4.88's in the pumpkins ,and 2 deep on t-case gearing you'll have no wheel speed if needed. I'm going 4.3 with 40's and plan 42's if I was on 35's I'd keep my 231...which has held up running 40-boggers ,so I think it's good for 35's if it holds to 39.5x18.00 that weigh 140lbs tire/wheel with much abuse ... a skid to protect the thin 231 case and a 32 spline sye and propper maintaining of fluid and it's pretty much worry free with a 4.0/35's for a long time ...I'm not saying an Atlas is not a great upgrade ,but is it really going to do anything for him worth 2,500-3,000 ...And under a jeep with a d30 in the front or 8.25 rear the 231is not your weakest link ...I exploded stock inner front 79-d60 shafts and 2 14 bolt shafts and not yet broke the 231.

Cool story, bro.

I tell no stories ...An easy day on 40's and a 231 ...reason for the bump is not enough gearing ,but this is an easy run and on 4340's and super joints up front in this vid because my little bro the kid dressed in camo on a hard trip b4 this easy run hit a ledge at 20mph and shattered the stock long inner shaft (35 spline but neck down79) ...231 did not flinch .

Last edited:
I really didn't "need" anything on my jeep. Most of the stuff I have on it is because I wanted it. Does a unibody rig on tons and 40's really make sense? But to you it did. I'm good with that. I was just getting an idea of what people like as far as gearing goes. And I'm way too old to have to ask for permission to buy something! :)

I really didn't "need" anything on my jeep. Most of the stuff I have on it is because I wanted it. Does a unibody rig on tons and 40's really make sense? But to you it did. I'm good with that. I was just getting an idea of what people like as far as gearing goes. And I'm way too old to have to ask for permission to buy something! :)

Understood and I care not what you do with your coin or Jeep ...But the first post had a tone of a rookie that may have thought he needed to 86 the 231 b/c of 35-37's ,but with MO' detail it's clear you just want the sweet bling of an Advanced Adapters Atlas ...The 4spd would be super sweet ...just planting the thought ...lol

Actually one of the main reasons I'm looking at an atlas is because I have a 242. But I would like to have 2 low and figured that have 4 to 1 would be nice. I looked into a 231 withe the Tera low and 4 to 1 but it was so close to the atlas(price wise) that it didn't make much sense. And If I was spending $ for bling I would start with an xj.

Actually one of the main reasons I'm looking at an atlas is because I have a 242. But I would like to have 2 low and figured that have 4 to 1 would be nice. I looked into a 231 withe the Tera low and 4 to 1 but it was so close to the atlas(price wise) that it didn't make much sense. And If I was spending $ for bling I would start with an xj.

Yeah a 4-1 and 2lo cost about $1500 . I would buy one used built ,but never put that money into one ...You also get front wheel 2-lo with the atlas ,which probably is not the best thing if not running a d30 .

Last edited:
I run an Atlas 4 speed with a 4.5L, AW4, 4.56 and 35’s, I have 2:1, 2.27:1 & 5.44:1 all I can say is I love it. In 5.44:1 the control is awesome I can just drive over obstacles, unless a downhill is vertical I have to give it gas to go downhill. I use the 2:1 for go fast stuff and have bullet like acceleration. I have not use the 2.72:1 but it is nice to have the options, 5.44.1 is too low for smooth trial work but is unbelievable in the technical stuff.
I used the electrical shifter for the planetary because I was too lazy to find a place for the third shifter, it shifts a little slow.
I have one complaint, I have the first generation 4sp, and the vent is located in the wrong location it pumps oil out of the vent. Atlas has not been able to correct this issue; I have not been pushing the issue and have installed a 1 quart catch can. Atlas gave me an alternative location for the vent but that has made it worst. I will be speaking with Atlas in person again this year at King of the Hammers.
All in all I am very happy with the Atlas, I feel it’s the next best thing to lockers, well maybe better because I don’t have to use my lockers in a lot of situations that I would have before. It’s so low that I don’t spin my tires, and only use the lockers if a wheel is in the air! You will not regret the money you spend on it!

Back