• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air intake opinions?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'd be chopping one together myself but California law says it needs a CARB sticker to register my car every year.
So, who makes the best CARB-exempt cold air intake? opinions?
K&N and AFE are topping my list so far. Who has the better filtration? Power? Fit / finish?

I'm cheap. I just added one of the generic spectre open air filters on a 3" exhaust pipe adapter to the stock intake hose. Whole deal was only about $30 and took about 10 min to install. It will only take 10 min to put back to stock for smog too.

Best filtration is going to be stock. If you must run one of the "performance" filters, I would seriously consider a prefilter.

If you're in the desert at all, stay away from an open cone filter would be my advice.

I installed a K&N kit when I first got my Jeep before I ever wheeled it off road, and now I have to clean it almost everytime after I go out in the desert. PITA

Also, what year XJ? Need to know that to know what is carb legal for it.

I run an AFE full intake kit on my WJ. Works fine, but black plastic tube gets hot in the engine, so I wrapped it with heat tape to keep the air cooler coming in. Other than that, it works as designed. I had a rusty's tube on my 96 XJ with a K&N cone filter. I ran that for over 7 years, cleaned the filter regularly, etc. Much cheaper than the whole kit with pretty much the same effect. I do like the maintenance free filter that I have on the AFE though. No oiling required! I find these kits way overpriced. The only reason I put one on the WJ is that I destroyed the OE one in a small fit of frustration.

It is a 98 with the 4.0.
I'm wanting a few extra ponies and maybe a mpg out of the deal if I can. Dealbreaker would be finding dust inside the intake tube. I plan to run a prefilter before running it in the desert, will probably get an Amsoil EA filter for whatever I wind up with.

JeepCherokeeGuy99 has a K&N CAI for sale.

I'm running an Amsoil eaau3090 filter on the K&N FIPK tube. I will never use a k&n filter due to the fine dust build-up that was on the other side of the. I also advise against a metal tube intake(even though our intake manifold's do a great job of baking the "cold air"). Smooth walls flow better than accordions.

It is a 98 with the 4.0.
I'm wanting a few extra ponies and maybe a mpg out of the deal if I can. Dealbreaker would be finding dust inside the intake tube. I plan to run a prefilter before running it in the desert, will probably get an Amsoil EA filter for whatever I wind up with.

My buddy that bought my '96 XJ put an amsoil filter on the Rusty's tube. He's really happy with it and drives his rig every day and then off to the mountains on the weekends.

in my experience they're useless, keep your stock system unless you need a snorkel or something. all it does it oil up your intake/sensors and doesnt filter worth a damn untill it's clogged enough to flow as little as the stock setup.

I'm pretty happy with the Airaid kit I installed on mine. I doubt I gained any HP or enough MPGs to know for certain, but the throttle response seems a bit better. I believe Airaids are quite similar to K&N but with an extra filtration layer... That said I probably wouldn't be quite so happy if I paid anywhere near full price...

IMAG0248.jpg

Keep your stock set up and then build your own. I have an aem with the carb sticker but it was still a pain to smog. I will put on my old box next smog.

My 2001 XJ has passed California's smog test twice with a cowl intake so I'm not sure what they look for. The stock airbox is still used.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622703531169/

And there you have it... The stock box was in place and so it passed. Probably didn't even notice the line going to the cowl. The entire issue is a bit daft but there it is. The Emission Nazis are looking for everything to be stock.

If I still lived in Cali, I would swap all stock intake junk on for the test and then swap it all back out after. I was ticketed (in 1974) for having a "smoker". what was actually happening was that I had a small leak in my Overdrive (it was a Triumph) and the gear oil dripped onto the exhaust. I got one of the famous two week fixit tickets. So... As it was going to take longer than that to get the parts from Elfland, I parked it around the corner from the Cop Shop and let everything cool down. Then I fired it up and slowly drove up to the front and shut it down again. Went in and got a Cop. Fired it up, blipped the throtle and did a song and dance about valve seals. He signed it off.

Point being, perception is reality. If it looks stock, they will pass it. That is why the cowl intake passed. All they saw was a big black box, not an open filter.

Back