• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why am I getting stuck in 4wd?

svtkid

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I searched to no avail. I have a 87 renix XJ with the AW4 and NP242. I havent had in in 4wd for about a year due to lack of time to go wheeling and mild weather. Well today we finally got the first snow we've had in 10 months and I decided to go out and tear things up with a group of people. The problem im having now is that it wont come out of PT4wd. Ill had it in full time most of the night but when I went to switch back to 2wd it would stick in part time. The only way I could get it back into 2wheel was to sit in neutral and slam the lever back and forth and then back up like 10 feet. Ive searched and the only answer I could find that was related to the early XJs was to reverse the vehicle. What causes this and what do I need to repair to get it working properly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Neutral then shift it to 2wd then shift to Reverse... then shift to drive
the light will then go off
dont force it... it is a transfercase and they are finiky PLEASE read the operation of your 4wd on your visor if you have anymore questions

i have a 242 as well... change the fluid if it keeps acting funny

I tried do that first. I didnt really want to force it due to it having 240k miles on it, but that didnt work. I tried doing it softly in that pattern a couple times before I had to force it in. I had to get it into 2wheel because I didnt want to drive home in the dry in 4wd.. I really just want to know how to fix it alltogether. Ide rather not just deal with it

At about 25 MPH driving in a straight line, let off the gas, make your shift with the lever, tap the gas and let off. These transfer cases were designed to be shifted while moving, except of course into 4L which is done with the trans in N after the t-case is already in a 4WD mode..

X2 above...emphasis on the STRAIGHT LINE. The lever will move into 2WD...leave it there and watch the light. The light will turn off after it actually is out of 4WD...light is not connected to shift lever, so don't expect it to go out right away.

Make sure your tires are evenly worn and inflated. If diameters vary front to back it can be very hard to get out of gear, at least on the 231. I found with my old 87 and 95 that even reversing didn't always suffice when I had neglected rotation or had a soft tire. A couple of cycles including brakes, and perhaps a little turning, and it would let go with a clunk. The 99 has never done this. I think the deletion of syncromesh in the 231 some time in mid-95 may be a factor.

e.t.a I see now you say the tires are OK. I'd check inflation anyway just in case.

Tires are 30x9.5 BFG all terrain K/O's with about 2k miles on them. Its definetely something in the linkage or transfer case.
It's the linkage. I fought the same issue for several years and finally got POd and replaced the linkage with a simpler setup. No more problems.

Now I'm not saying the 242 shifts great in comparison to the 231, but it always shifts.

When the vehicle is sitting still, in neutral and the TC won't shift, this stuff about tire height has no bearing on the issue.

P.S. I've have a '98 XJ with the 242 and an '00 XJ with the 231. Swapped out linkage on both and nary a problem.

I havent had time to slide under there and look cause theres still snow on the ground, is that a cable or a rod linkage on the tcase? And are replacements available at auto part stores or would I have to find one online?

And no, it has nothing to do with the tires.

It's linkage. Part on the TC and part on the body. They wear and get sloppy. Some adjustment can be made but there comes a point of no return.

Auto parts don't have them, most dealers don't have the parts anymore so junk yards are the best source. Other than that, make your own replacement or buy and aftermarket.

Back