• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk trailers

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I'm looking for a trailer to tow the jeep.

I want to get a good deal but I'm really thinking I should just buy new.

Buying used, I want brakes so I'll be spending 1,100-1,600

Buying new
I'm looking at this one

BRAND NEW 2012 80"x16' Flatbed 7,000lb GVW with ramps and storage, main frame 5" channel ,electric brakes on BOTH axles, MCO included for obtaining a title. MCI Welding since 1987 Check our quality before you buy (503)656-6724 thanks for supporting small local companies. see us at mciwelding.com

8168b59f.jpg

28dc2b4b.jpg

What do you guys think?

I have a 16ft and will be trading it in for a 18ft. 16ft for ,y rig is just to small for my liking. For proper tongue weight the rear of my xj overhung the trailer. If i was to be rear ended they would hit the xj before the trailer.

16ft can be done but not ideal.

My zj fits on my 14ft I would love a 16ft But your xj is shorter so I think you'll like the 16

I have had mine for a while now but when I did the research I found that used trailers were not that much less than new and they needed new beds, tires, hubs, etc.

The weight of the trailer was important to me. I found that most 7K trailers weight darn close to 2K empty. Add a heavy XJ and a few spare parts and a 7K trailer just wasn't enough for me.

I also wanted something that would work to tow anything (rock buggy, race car, classic hot rod or muscle car). I wanted something as low as possible that I could get a low race car on and off the trailer without too much issue.

I also prefered the idea of a tilt bed trailer because I often load non vehicle stuff on the trailer and it is MUCH easier to load with a tilt bed than with ramps.

I ended up with a 10K pound load, 20ft bed with 2ft beaver tail, tilt bed trailer. It weights about 2oolb and cost about 400$ more than the 7K trailers I was comparing it to and it is MUCH more trailer.

In the long run I could not be happier with the trailer I got.

Tnt Trailers in Rochester WA (Also local)

Michael

I have a budget of 2,000 that I want to spend

I'm looking at this one

GREAT SHAPE<>NEW FLOOR<>RAMPS<>TIRES @ 60%<<>>18-FT LONG X 7-FT DECK

$1850 CASH<>NO TRADES<>CLEAR TITLE<>

MANUFACTURE: DIAMOND TRAILER
GVWR: 7000#
axles: 2 @ 3500 PER AXEL
coupler: 2" 8000# "A" Frame
cross members: 3" Channel
fenders: 9" X 72" Teardrop
floor: 2" FIR
frame: 5" Channel
jack: 2000# Top-Wind
ramps: 60" Angle, Rear Slide-in
stake pockets: 4
suspension: 4-Leaf Springs
tires: ST205/75D15
tongue: 5" Channel-Full Wrap
wheels: 15" 5 Hole

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

de6011e6.jpg

03c36705.jpg

This one will cost and extra 201 for title Trans and tags.
The new one I posted before will cost an extra 261 for title and tags

I haven't thought TOO much about it, but I'm considering upgrading to a 10k trailer, and may be interested in selling mine. 18' STEEL deck, 83" between fenders IIRC, beaver tail, front storage box. Recent bearing service, brakes, tires. Includes TWO spare tires on wheels, ramps. Has lots of tie downs, LED Lighting, new tongue jack, etc. Has rail in front with 2" receiver, winch not included. Fenders are slightly beat up, could use paint. Licensed as an '05 IIRC. Been well maintained, no issues.

$1850

I don't have any pics of it but can snap some.

From da Midwest...

I picked up a 10k 18' wood deck flat trailer a couple of years ago. Personally, I would not want to run an XJ on a shorter trailer. I also do not want a beavertail on it (more personal preference, my driveway is short and steep, a beavertail would scrape.) I paid quite a chunk more than $2k for it, though.

A couple of things to look at. Is the trailer fully painted? Look at the underside, and where the decking lies. Check out the wiring. Look at the jack. Ramps, slide-in or fold-up?

i bought my trailer used from a rental yard for $1500
it was less than 10 years old, 10k gross, 84" between the fenders, all steel deck.
i prefer steel decks rather than wood that will crack or rot over time.
it has enough capacity to haul my mini excavator, skid steer, or buldozerm as well
as being able to haul my xj on tons.

Cool! Thank you all.
Today is trailer day!
I took the day off work, ill be looking at 18 foot trailers with brakes
I found a 16 foot gooseneck trailer ( I have goose in the truck)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2788685601.html
But for just one jeep? And it sits up pretty high...

So bumper pull it is...
I want to call around to trailer rental places, all steel deck seems like a good idea. As long as the trailer is not crazy heavy.

If I had the choice between a bumper pull versus gooseneck for the same price, I would choose goose everytime. The ease of pulling and manuverability is great! From my experience the gooseneck is a better controlled pull. I miss my truck and gooseneck trailer, I had a chevy 2500 with a 28" enclosed trailer, pulled it cross-country from Virginia here to Vancouver with no problems.

I picked this up today
23972bff.jpg

a3e2f86f.jpg

4916b278.jpg

It's a 18 foot 10k, with dual brakes, ramps hide under bed, and has feet on the back

Great northern 10,000 lbs has dexter 5,000 axels

If you dont mind me asking since I'm thinking about selling my 16ft steel deck, how much did it set you back?

the guy was asking 2,500 ( way cheap if you aske me)
i called him and we had a talk, my trailer budget was 2,000 and he said he was sick of seein it.
so me a NWzjScott whent to go get it for $2,000 bucks

got to talking to him, it has 300 miles on it (yes, 300)

i called 99 west ( where he got it from in 2009) they said that trailer is 3,900 bucks.

i am IN LOVE with this thing!!! empty it is so nice to tow!! i cant wait to tow my jeep down the road!!

P.S. i feel like i got a deal of a liftime with this trailer!!

Nice trailer, that looks a lot sturdier than the first couple you posted up. Nice find.

yeah thats a good find for sure. I like it. The dual brakes i like too. That would jsut make me feel much better inside.

Back