• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK steering questions

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Im back to trying to fix my steering once again, and going over alot of different ideas. What are your guys take on OTK steering? It will be going on a HP D30. I was thinking of doing something like JCR's kit. Running the tie rod all the way across and then running the TRE that I can attach the drag link to. What you guys think?? I know I will have to relocate the trac bar OTA and thats fine I already have a bracket that has been in my garage. So I will be custom making a new trac bar as well. I have a RE one right now but its junk and hate the dam thing. Would you use 1.25" .250 DOM or would you use 1.5" .250 DOM? whatcha guys think.

Or would you just go with a WJ set up. So redoing the whole front end. What would you guys think would be better

WJ setup is obviously best since you gain the bigger brakes and all but its not exactly a one two three install. I run JCR otk on my xj and left the trackbar in the stock location, its been fine ever since. Since you have the means to move the trackbar though I'm sure your xj is gona handle fine. So far I love my otk setup, only thing that sucked was drilling and reaming out the pitman arm.....

also 1.25 is probably more then sufficient, i think any bigger and you might run into issues with your diff cover

WJ setup is obviously best since you gain the bigger brakes and all but its not exactly a one two three install. I run JCR otk on my xj and left the trackbar in the stock location, its been fine ever since. Since you have the means to move the trackbar though I'm sure your xj is gona handle fine. So far I love my otk setup, only thing that sucked was drilling and reaming out the pitman arm.....

also 1.25 is probably more then sufficient, i think any bigger and you might run into issues with your diff cover

How do you like it?? ever had a problem with death wobble or wondering problems? I wouldent have a problem getting a pitman arm reamed as we have a guy local that does it.

WJ with one ton steering is your best bet as for a trac bar I sugest http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/349

Cant go with that. There trac bar uses a 2.5" joint. And im using a RE one welded to the frame, so thats a no go, Exactly why I will be building my own

i have the JCR OTK kit, with a jks OTA bracket for the trac bar, and built a straight trac bar with 3/4 ruff stuff heim kit and 1.5x .25 DOM and have no clearance issues with the track bar. the steering is nice and tight with the spacer on the passenger side TRE. i love mine

the tie rod does hit the OTA bracket, but only because i mounted it a little lower for angles, and weld strength

i can do it this evening

Are there usually problems with interfearance between the steering and aftermarket diff covers when you go OTK? Are there certain diff covers that have more clearance then others?

I run a cross over steering bracket from Blue Torch Fab on my D30. I use the BTF bracket along with Ruffstuff Specialties trackbar and cross over steering kit.

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

Before anyone says anything about the draglink bolt being too short, it has been swapped out for one the correct length.

I paid roughly 300 for the jcr kit, bought a new drill bit for 25 bucks, and borrowed a reamer. If you have to buy the reamer add another 75ish to that total

Back