• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats going to be stronger?

Cody90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I actually found a Dana 44 in the junk yard the other day. Was able to go back the next day and get it. Looks pretty good but, the pinion seal needs to be replaced and I would have to regear it at the minium. Ofcourse a locker and a full rebuild would be the best course of action and what I would really like to do.

What I have now is a fully rebuilt and regeared 8.25 with disc brakes. (7500 miles on it)

What would be stronger in the short term?

8.25 with chromoly axles or the factory axles in the 44?

I'm sure 44 could be built better in the long run. I'm running 35's and do some rocks but, mostly trails and some mud. After breaking a couple driver side 30 shafts I'm getting conserned about the shafts.

Looks like just upgrading shafts in the 8.25 would be much cheaper and I could sell the 44 and make enough money to buy the other axles.

Thoughts?

I would think chromoly shafts in the 8.25 would be stronger than factory shafts in the 44.

JIM.

Strength wise, there really is not much to be gained from replacing the 8.25 with a D44 which has an 8.5" ring gear. If you are set on replacing the axle, go Ford 8.8 or better.

Disk brakes can be installed on the 8.25 by using 2003 Liberty parts. They also use a version of the 8.25 and the backing plate mounts are identical. Lets you run parts obtainable at any parts house.

Sell the 44 and save up the money to get a better front axle when you get the chance.

I'd have to agree with everybody else. I think the 8.25 with upgraded shafts, although being a few mm's smaller in axle shaft diameter, would be stronger than a stock Dana 44. And if not stronger I'd say at least up to the same strength, which is pretty damn tough.

If you've already got the stock 8.25 in, and a Dana 44 on the ground, I wouldnt listen to everybody that chants 8.8... you have enough axle for what you say your gonna do if you go with either one you already have

Looks like I've got some rethinking to do.

I thought the Dana 44 was supposed to be so much stronger etc.....

Guess not.

Ideas for the front?

8.25 Crysler vs. Dana 44 upgrades...hmm
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep/A...le-Kit-With-ARB-Locker---TJ--LJ-PRD29658.aspx
Alloy USA Jeep Wrangler Dana 44 Mas Grande 35 Spline Chromoly Rear Axle Kit With ARB Locker - TJ / LJ

OMX12137-ARB.jpg

Expensive though....I sold my 29 spline after I got my Stock XJ Dana 44..I am a Dana/Spicer man though.Don't like C-clips..axles rock in and out too much for my liking.

Last edited:
The D44 is a better axle all the way around. Larger ring gear, deeper gear options, more aftermarket lockers available, bigger shafts, no C-clips, probably a couple of other things too.

But you asked this:

What would be stronger in the short term?

8.25 with chromoly axles or the factory axles in the 44?
And they answered you correctly

The D44 is a better axle all the way around. Larger ring gear, deeper gear options, more aftermarket lockers available, bigger shafts, no C-clips, probably a couple of other things too.

But you asked this:

And they answered you correctly

Your right.

Thanks for the answers. :patriot:

Ehall nailed it. aftermarket support is a huge factor when in the Chryco/Dana debate. So many vehicles had the 44 you could find parts at the blink of an eye. Although, it's not as critical these days. A lot more companies have started putting out parts for the 8.25.

X2 on the "no C-clips" It SUCKS when those axles break. Makes getting off the trail a royal pain when the wheel keeps trying to fall off!

Strength vs. Conveinience should be considered if you're breaking axles.

X2 on the "no C-clips" It SUCKS when those axles break. Makes getting off the trail a royal pain when the wheel keeps trying to fall off!

Strength vs. Conveinience should be considered if you're breaking axles.
I personally have never broken a rear axleshaft, but I am on 33's not 35's. Even if I were on 35's with my 8.25, if I had alloys I would not consider c-clips to even be a factor unless I take the diff apart for some reason. Alloy shafts are stronger than anything I am likely to put them through.

I personally have never broken a rear axleshaft, but I am on 33's not 35's. Even if I were on 35's with my 8.25, if I had alloys I would not consider c-clips to even be a factor unless I take the diff apart for some reason. Alloy shafts are stronger than anything I am likely to put them through.

I agree that the alloy shafts are the way to go. I was running 33's with the 8.25 and broke the stock axle shaft. Maybe it wouldn't happened with upgraded shafts, but the day was ruined when we heard the "snap" followed by the "Oohhhhh" sound. Getting it off the trail sucked. I'm just now a big believer in "no C-clips" after that.

Back