• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel spacers and rubicon 16" wheels

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
I just got me some Rubicon 16" wheels to replace my Procomp 15" alloy wheels. I was looking at wheel spacers and found 1.25 spidertrax and 1.50 rough countrys. I had bushwacker cutout flairs and 33x12,50x15 with a 3.75 backspaced wheel and the look was good. Now im using 285x75x16 (32.8x11.4x16 ) with 5"backspaced rubicon wheels. i AM losing a inch of width so the extra .25" the rough country spacers would give me would be visually appealing. That wound put me at 3.50 backspacing and match up to the bushwacker lip. Full knowing that this will be hard on unit bearings although only a .25 difference from what ive ran for the last 8 years with the 3.75 BS procomp wheels. The big question is that through the years all i have heard is that you run spacers go spidertrax. what about the rough country spacers? will my jeep blow up if i run these ? can anybody vouch for their quality that runs them? thanks

I have the Spidertrax on my WJ (1.25") on 31" tires and OE Rims. I have the 1.5" Rough Country ones on my XJ running 30's on OE wheels. I can tell you that the RC ones are as well machined and put together as the Spidertrax ones and cheaper. I think the extra cost on the Spidertrax is the blue anodizing, which I don't care for anyways. Both rigs have been put through the paces, as much as you could expect from mild lifted vehicle. The spacers have held up great. I was very diligent about the torqueing procedure on all the nuts, red locktite, etc. and the retorque after break in. I like them a lot and would recommend them to anyone.

Here's a picture of the beater XJ with the RC wheel spacers:

CherokeeSideViewTopHedgepeth-NoWinch1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't run either of those brands but, I can vouch for spacers as a whole. I've run them on a couple of cars and my current jeep. Never heard of anyone having issues with them.

I have the spidetraxx 1.25 and i also have had zero problems. One complaint I have though, is that the studs are a little rough. It's real easy the start a lug nut off center if you're not paying attention.

I run the same setup,Bushwackers, r/c spacers with rubi wheels and 285 Goodyear duratrac. I've had them on for roughly two years and no issues. I did replace my hubs before I put the spacers on. Without the spacers the tires rub like crazy.

Just be sure to pay attention to maintenance on the spacers. I have personally been behind 3 different Jeeps when one of the spacers/wheels has come off while driving. Not fun. Spacers are a last resort, definitely not a preferred option.

Back