• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't Start - Dies - Cranks

Desert Jeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having intermittent issues with my 2000 XJ. It's a 4.0/Auto.

Some times, about every 3 months, but more often lately, it will crank and crank and crank but wont start. Then it *might* start but then if it does, it could just die. I had this problem last week. After ~10min. it started and I held the peddle to the floor. As soon as I took my foot off ti died again.

My dad was driving it this week and said it "just died". It didn't sputter or anything.

Any ideas? Moab is comming up and I'd really like to not have any problems while I'm 3 states from home.

I'm sure with the "crank and crank" that the battery is in a good state of charge...

Here's an odd one -- ewith your driver's door (and only your driver's door) open look at the dome lamp - then turn the key to run (so the fuel pump will cycle) does the dome lamp dim appreciably while the pump is pumping? with the door still open start your XJ -- by all rights the dome lamp should get brighter... if it dims, then it's likely that you have a ground issue (the driver's side door pin switches for the courtesy lamps share a ground with the fuel pump)... To verify - open a passenger-side door - if the lam brightens, then you do have this grounding issue...

... when the fuel pump dies, so will your XJ...

It's a crappy little ground on the driver's side wall of the cargo area behind where the inside spare mounts -- you'll need to pull that trim panel loose (beneath the rear fixed glass on the driver's side)...

There should be at least qty=2 grounds back there and the one closest to the rear of the vehicle is the fuel pump, driver's side courtesy lamp pin switches, and other stuff)

To me, that ground looks to be problematic (a single self tapping screw in thin sheet metal!) - but... it wouldn't hurt to verify your fuel pressure and review the state of your ignition componants (like plugs et al)

Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 Turbo Diesel

Guys
Scott Smith recomended your forum. Im in Ireland and Ive started repairing a Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 Turbo Diesel.

I have a crank problem which destroyed the last engine that was in the jeep.

When you crank the engine some times it dont start ,when it does it sounds real rough but then after 8 seconds it gets normal , I mean it sounds like its firing ok.

Any one with a diesel who could help fix the problem.

Jon

Back