• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Core charges

XJFang

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a used replacement engine for my '99. I bought it from an eBay seller that turned out to be near by and had what I was looking for. I looked through the sales info on-line and I don't see a mention of it requiring a core return in the description. I had intended to offer the block which is still good as a base for someone to do a stroker conversion as for sale to help off-set the cost of the newer engine.

Opinions?

Sorry if I asked my question in such an implicit fashion.

Hows this:

Anyone bought a junk yard motor and then been asked to turn over their old one?

Many junkyards are adding 'core' charges these days.... in fact some are downright evil with that crap...

When you bought it, if it didnt say anything about a core, i'd assume theres no core.

If your trying to sell your core, youre not gonna get much, maybe enough for lunch for you and some friends doing the swap out. Ive bought 3 RUNNING 4.0 long blocks's for $100 each.

If they did not mention a core charge in the auction listing, I would retract my bid/payment and leave them negative feedback (only after talking to them and explaining that not mentioning a core charge drastically changes the auction and price). Regardless of the value of the block, them not stating that they want the old block or the cost of the core charge in the auction is false advertising. If they are local to you, pay them a visit or call before taking any action on ebay or paypal.

First I would not buy an enginer, transmission, transfer case, or axles off of e-bay because there is little to nothing you can do when you are ripped off.

Also, e-bay does nothing to deter frauds and crooks for conducting business on e-bay, they figure if the buyer did not ask the right question, or missed something in the item description, then it's their own fault, even if you are in the right.

Your best source is to ask guys here where to buy a good used, or rebuilt engine at a decent cost that won't take all your beer money away from you for the next couple of months.

If they did not mention a core charge in the auction listing, I would retract my bid/payment and leave them negative feedback (only after talking to them and explaining that not mentioning a core charge drastically changes the auction and price). Regardless of the value of the block, them not stating that they want the old block or the cost of the core charge in the auction is false advertising. If they are local to you, pay them a visit or call before taking any action on ebay or paypal.
If I am understanding the OP's question, there was no core charge, and he is asking if he should offer his block to them.
If there is no mention of core charge and are not charged I would keep the block and/or sell/giveaway on craigslist or other local.

Back