• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Jeep Alloys

Corprin

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a particular reason that people seek the various OEM Jeep wheels?

I know the Gamblers are 15x8, while many others are 15x7, but what is the draw? Forged? Super strong? Pure cosmetic?

A cheap aluminum wheel, functions, fits, and has decent styling.

Its not cosmetic for me, the 5 spoke's, are a sliiiight PITA to work with... hard to realign them for re-assembly, especially in the dark....

Go work on a rig with steelies, or other wheels with a thin wheel mounting surface, theyre much easier to work with... this wouldnt matter on a hub centric wheel as much, but since theyre lug centric, i like to be able to see the wheel shift on the lugs as you cinch that first lug down tight.

PERSONAL preferance.

Is there a list of the different Jepp Wheels? I always see people naming the wheels they are talking about. I know them all by looking at them but I never know the wheel by name

Pretty decent wheels imo. Also, my biggest reason for going to wrangler 5spoke 16s was that I had mroe choices for tire size, and the offset of the wheel lets you run a bigger tire. More offset gets the tires rubbing the flares.

Its not cosmetic for me, the 5 spoke's, are a sliiiight PITA to work with... hard to realign them for re-assembly, especially in the dark....

Go work on a rig with steelies, or other wheels with a thin wheel mounting surface, theyre much easier to work with... this wouldnt matter on a hub centric wheel as much, but since theyre lug centric, i like to be able to see the wheel shift on the lugs as you cinch that first lug down tight.

PERSONAL preferance.
What XJ wheels are lug centric? I thought they were all hub centric, even if the hubs are too shallow to be any use in hanging a wheel in the dark.

I don't much care for the XJ alloys, at least the ones I had. They seemed hard to keep in balance, shed weights, and like most alloy wheels with no inserts on the taper seats, they loosen up on the left side if you forget to retorque them after a few miles. I went back to steel.

AFAIK all XJ wheels are lug centric. They've got the conical lug nuts for a reason I thought :dunno: My Cragars I got for the XJ (now on the MJ) are definitely lug centric, since the centerbores are significantly larger than an XJ hub.

I ran ZJ Canyon rims on my MJ (till I lifted it, the tires I got are 16s and don't fit them :() for a long time simply because I liked the way they looked.

Is there a list of the different Jepp Wheels? I always see people naming the wheels they are talking about. I know them all by looking at them but I never know the wheel by name

This is a fairly exhaustive list of XJ wheels. The list is much much larger once you throw WJ's, WK's, JK's, etc into the mix. As far as 5x4.5, this is most of the list. Many of the wheels were shared on the TJ and KJ, sometimes with slightly different paint. Some of my favorite oddball wheels came on late model TJ's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/jeep-cherokee-stock-rims-encyclopedia-320730/

AFAIK all XJ wheels are lug centric. They've got the conical lug nuts for a reason I thought :dunno: My Cragars I got for the XJ (now on the MJ) are definitely lug centric, since the centerbores are significantly larger than an XJ hub.

I ran ZJ Canyon rims on my MJ (till I lifted it, the tires I got are 16s and don't fit them :() for a long time simply because I liked the way they looked.
Factory XJ wheels fit snugly on the hub. (At least the ones I've had). If you keep one long enough in the rust belt you'll encounter the frustration of having to beat a frozen one off the hub.

Ive never seen an xj wheel go on snug to the hub.... so with my understanding of the hub vs lug centric theory, that'd make them lug centric?

5 spoke alloys, 11(i beleive its 11) spokes, steelies, never seen LESS THAN 1/16th space between the middle of the axle shafts, and the wheel.

Someone settle this...

Ive never seen an xj wheel go on snug to the hub.... so with my understanding of the hub vs lug centric theory, that'd make them lug centric?

5 spoke alloys, 11(i beleive its 11) spokes, steelies, never seen LESS THAN 1/16th space between the middle of the axle shafts, and the wheel.

Someone settle this...
That's interesting. All mine have gone on pretty snug, and it's rare after a few months not to have to slam them off with a series of backward kicks or a very very big hammer. I would have considered that at least somewhat hub-centric, but I don't want to start splitting technical hairs.

I don't care for the five spoke steelies simply because there is a small lip around the inside of the rim that holds mud, snow, ice, and it can throw the wheel off balance. I also like the looks of the five spoke aluminum wheels (Echos) on a lifted rig. I also feel you have less of a chance of popping a bead while aired down when running a 15x7 wheel on a 10.50 wide tire. However that being said I don't think I would want a 12.50 wide tire on anything skinnier than a x8 rim.

That's interesting. All mine have gone on pretty snug, and it's rare after a few months not to have to slam them off with a series of backward kicks or a very very big hammer. I would have considered that at least somewhat hub-centric, but I don't want to start splitting technical hairs.
I have found that cranking the lugs off about 4 turns, lowering the jeep back onto the ground (full weight), and whacking it really, really hard with a 3lb sledge (protect the wheel with some plywood if you care about it...) will usually take them off, even when they are really seized on there. Normally a good solid kick will take mine off, but I did some work on a ZJ last year that required this trick. Even smacking it as hard as I could with the sledge while it was on the lift didn't budge it, nor did neutral drops with the lugs loosened.

Don't you just love road salt and galvanic corrosion?

XJ's are lug centric, if they were hub centric it would be critical to maintian a good fit between the hub and rim. There are special plastic adapters used to obtain this tight clearance when using aftermarket wheels.

I have roughly 1/4" of clearance between the hub and the black D steelies I am running now

XJ's are lug centric, if they were hub centric it would be critical to maintian a good fit between the hub and rim. There are special plastic adapters used to obtain this tight clearance when using aftermarket wheels.

I have roughly 1/4" of clearance between the hub and the black D steelies I am running now

Hub Centric and Lug Centric is a property of a wheel, not the vehicle. Most aftermarket jeep wheels are lug centric (including your Cragars - which are meaningless in a factory wheel thread). You won't find spacer rings on factory aluminum wheels because they are already cast to the correct size. All of the late model XJ,TJ,KJ 5x4.5 wheels fit snugly on the lip that extends from the wheel flange on the front unit bearings and the rear axle shafts. XJ's also use acorn nuts, which would center the wheel anyway. If it's not hub-centeric, it's pretty damn close. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Front:
fb-3.jpg

Rear:
drum1.jpg

Last edited:
Back