• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elk Lake 1/7/2012

chero-car

NAXJA Forum User
Woke up this morning and decided to head east. We headed out of town after stopping at the folks house to grab some chains just in case. Stopped at detroit dam on the way up to drive the jeep across and take some pictures. Went up to mongold and drove around in the lake because it's empty for the winter. Got some lunch at the diner in town and then headed for Hoodoo. We didn't really see any snow until we got to Marion Forks, there was 2-3 inches there. Stopped off at maxwell butte snow park to let the dogs out for awhile, usually this time of year there is about 6 feet, today there might have been 1. Once we go to Hoodo I tried to get the jeep to break loose but the traction control on the new jeeps are just too good! I almost want it on the XJ! I made the wife drive so she could get use to how the Grand handles in the snow. I had her drive down to Detroit and once we got there we still had some time to kill so I decided we'd head up to Elk Lake and see how far we could get.

On the way up we sent someone a text to make sure someone knew were we were headed. About 9 miles up we started to get into some white stuff, we were probably around the 3500 ft mark, got up to some ruts that were borderline too much for the stock rig to handle so i got out and walked a bit. after deciding too venture on we go up to the lake with NO tire spin at all. Was really suprised myself. took a picture of the jeep and headed home. all in all we covered just over 220 miles and averaged 17 MPG in a 4.7!

Only used the actual camera once, will upload the cell phone pics later.

Elk Lake
P1070995.jpg

I had a 2005 with the 5.7 and all of the traction control goodies.

I have had all sorts of high end 4x4 vehicles and without a doubt that Grand is an awsome vehicle with LOTS of capabilities.

I did do a budget boost and 32" tires and it had incredible traction both on and off road, particularly in the snow.

It also did an excellent job of towing!

Michael

I had a 2005 with the 5.7 and all of the traction control goodies.

I have had all sorts of high end 4x4 vehicles and without a doubt that Grand is an awsome vehicle with LOTS of capabilities.

I did do a budget boost and 32" tires and it had incredible traction both on and off road, particularly in the snow.

It also did an excellent job of towing!

Michael

To say the least i was very pleased with its performance. We have only towed with it once and that was a 2 horse trailer and it did it rather well. for the 4.7 it does well. and usually gets around 24MPG on the highway and 17 in town. Nice little jeep. Not ready to take it to the next level, nice to just have something stock!:)

Back