• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issues...

biggin69

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 92 XJ for cheap. :clap: It has some electrical issues. The headlights and tail lights do not work. The previous owner put a new head light switch in it and tht did not fix the problem. He found that the headlight harness plug (ubder the airbox) was severly corroded so he cut it out and ran a wire from the positve side of the headlights to the battery that so he could atleast have headlight (still no running lights).

I found a good plug at the local junk yard today so I am going to atleast fix that tomorow.

Brake lights - drivers side come on great when the pedal is pushed but the passenger side one take about a second to light up and is not near as bright.

Radio - Previous owner put an aftermarket radio in it. As I was driving it today I noticed that the radio turns off but comes back on when the brake is applied...?

I am going to tear into it tomorow and see what I can find. Any advice on things I should look for or check?

Thanks!

Also instead of just getting that plug I'd go ahead and get the whole headlight wiring harness. I've bought 2 from junkyards, once for that same corroded plug. They're super cheap and it's a lot easier then soldering or crimping all those wires.

As for the radio, the previous owner may have spliced the power wire to the slot on the fuse block for the brake lights, so when you put the brakes on the power is pulled to the brake lights instead of the radio. That may also explain the delay on the passenger side bulb but I really doubt it.

The brake light problem could be a lot of things. Like he said check the grounds. My buddy's XJ used to have that problem and it turned out to be loose wires on one of the bulb sockets.

Good luck!

I think I have it all straightened out! Instead for replacing the plug, I just color matched the wires and used some weather proof butt connectors to tie them together. I now have headlights and running lights.

As far as the brake lights issue, I found that the passenger side sockets are severly corroded. I had to break the stop/tail bulb out of the socket bit by bit. I repaced the bulb and now have working brake lights.

The reason for the turn signals not working (flashing) was due to a broken socket on the drivers side and again corrosion on the pass. side.

I pulled the radio out and the tool that put it in just twisted all of the wires togethr and used no connectors. I am going to redo it tomorow.

Where can I buy replacement sockets?

Back