• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Spare Tire

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any good leads on a rear spare tire cairer

If you can, build it yourself. It is always more satisfying. I finished one this summer using a Rockstomper hinge and some $15 square tubing. I think it is 10 times better than anything I could have bought. If you can't build it, you're gonna have to fork over quite a bit more dough than that... Oh, sorry, I don't have any pics.

I agree with Dirk, build one on your own. I just have buddies that can weld. We used a rockstomper hinge as well cuz they are rock solid, and ran it through the bottom of the bumper. Heres a pic:
5571003d.jpg

Hope that helps.

hey Hulk:
Can you explain how that latch works. Its hard to tell from the picture. My method isn't working out very well. I tried having a spring loaded pin dropping into a hole when the tire carrier was in place. So to swing it out, you lift up the spring loaded pin and pull out. It just doesn't work very well, and I'm looking for other ideas.

Thanks.

I have no idea where my buddy found the latch, but it was in some industrial parts catalog. It works pretty simply. The latch is attached to a square ended U and the U swings freely. That assembly is attached to the swing arm.
On the bumper there is a little "cup" that accepts the end of the swingarm into it and serves as a stop. On that stop there is a tab that came with the latch that has one end ground out in another U shape to accept the U of the latch end.
So, I know that explanation sucked, but you swing the carrier into the receiver, pull open the latch and swing out the U shaped arm, which fits over the tab on the stop, then pull the latch shut and the two Us pull it in tight. Close the latch and whalla, it doesnt move!
Does that make any sense at all? I am assuming it doesnt since I can hardly undertand it and i wrote it. So, later on tonight I will take some pics and post them up tomorrow.
So far the only flaw to the design is it can wiggle itself loose over long periods of highway driving, which I think could be remedied by adjusting the latch a little. And its fairly easy to catch with your pants, or shirt and pull it loose, then its VERY frightening to see your swing arm opening giong 75 down the freeway!:eek:
Hope that helps, I will get some pics later on.
josh

where do you find a rockstomper hindge and that latch at. iam a fabricator so that is the easy part just couldnt find the hindge.

maybe i'll do a roof mount for now. later on may be an external cage.

Latch

That type of latch is called a toggle latch, similar mechanism to a toggle clamp, which utilizes a 4-bar mechanism at its toggle point (hence the name) to exert the maximum force on the latch in its closed position (in case you were wondering, I am a mechanical engineer!)

Two manufacturers of such latches are Carr-Lane and Southco. You can find these at McMaster-Carr, www.Mcmaster.com, Grainger, www.grainger.com, or Reid Tool, www.reidtool.com.

The nice thing is that they are available in stainless steel, which is a good material for a weather exposed applications.

Last edited:
Heres those pics of the latch and hinge I promised. Hope that helps. The latch is from a place called J& Industrial, we found it in the catalog. I am told it is called the destaco 344. Let me know if I can help any more htan that!
latch.JPG

latch2.JPG

hinge.JPG

carrier2.JPG

thanks for the photos and info i'll have to get started on a new rear bumper now.

Back