• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to upgrade foglight harness

Portjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've just upgraded my headlight setup to Xenon HIDs which involved a complete new harness and I experienced the issue with the factory fogs set up interfering so I've removed the relay in the PDC for the fogs.

The fogs didn't work anyhow so this wasn't a prob as I wanted to fix/upgrade them anyhow.

I think the easiest way is to put in a new dedicated harness, I looked at the post in http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/fog-light-wiring-upgrade-653022/ and this seems to be the way to go. Nice and simple(ish).

Anyhow my question is can I pick up the wiring from the switch (coming from pin 2) in the engine compartment and just link my new harness and set up into that rather than do any wiring in the interior as the switch is already there?

As a side issue the factory fogs have both got cracked lenses and I want to replace the units too as part of the upgrade sop can anyone recommend good replacements?

TIA.

Personally, I would bypass the stock wiring altogether, except for the factory switch and the illumination and ground leads in the pigtail. I wired my fogs up like the thread you linked, with large enough wire to run whatever lighting I wanted to later on. The interior wiring is very simple and straight forward; the "hardest" part is removing the various trim pieces to cut/splice/add the wires.

On the drivers side factory headlight plug there should be two red wires that are on the high beam connection. One of those is the high beam + the other is a driver circuit for the fogs. The way the factory set up the fogs is a bit different. The relay in the PDC has 12v on one sided of the coil when ever the head light switch is on, and when the high beams are off the other side grounds out through the high beam lamp filament. When you turn the high beams on there would be 12v on both sides of the relay coil causing the relay to open. The power then flows from a fuse in the PDC through the relay to the switch, and back out to the fogs (which is also why the fog light switches have a tendency to burn up).
The issue when converting to a upgraded harness is that that driver circuit for the fog lights has voltage on it anytime the headlight switch is on. That voltage isn't enough to pull in the relays of the harness, but once the relay has been pulled in there is enough voltage to keep it pulled in.

There are several solutions for the issue.

..1. Is to pull the fuse from the fuse block, or relay from the PDC rendering the fogs off permanently.

..2. Move that driver wire to the headlight plug side of your harness effectively restoring it back to normal operation. (I don't know if that will work with your HID set up or not, but maybe worth a try.)

..3. You can just ground that driver circuit which would allow the fog light to work regardless of the high/low beams, but still be controllable from the fog light switch, and the headight switch.

..4. Involves some rewiring of the fog light circuit both inside of the vehicle, and out, but effectively sets it up like a normal relay circuit reusing all the factory wiring, and relay. Again doing it this way would allow the fog light to operate regardless of the high/low beams. (I'm not going to explain this one because I feel you should have some electrical knowledge, and access to the wiring diagrams of the FSM of your year. Also there isn't any real advantage of doing this over just grounding the red wire.)

Last thing. Because of how the power flows through the switch in the dash I suggest doing a harness style upgrade on the fog lights as well. You could reuse the factory wiring in the factory harness, but if you have the skill I would cut the plugs off and run some slightly heavier wires to the fogs as well.

Last edited:
Back