• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Chain Replacement Help

GreenMachine1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of refreshing a '97 4.0L. It was torn down a long time ago and I am now finally putting it all back together. The old timing chain was removed during the tear-down and I can confidently say that the crank and cam have been moved from top dead center on the first piston. The factory service manual gives two methods of verifying proper timing. First, you verify that the timing marks are lined up with each other. Next, you can count the number of pins between the two timing marks which should equal 15 pins on a 48 pin chain (from FSM). I bought a Cloyes single roller chain/sprockets which has 64 total pins. I can line up the timing marks but when it comes to the pins, I'm a little uncertain. Are the marks supposed to be 20 pins apart with the larger chain? Is there another way to verify proper timing with with chain/marks? Thanks for the help.

To verify correct installation of the timing chain, rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions. The camshaft and crankshaft sprocket timing mark should align.

GL

Back