• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buy old or buy new?????

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have an 89, new 4.0, strong AW4, and 242 t case. D44 real locked & D30 front locked. That's what's on it now. I have lots of extra prats for it. The body on mine is toast. So I'm looking for a new XJ. If I go 94/95 and down I have lots of extra parts, if I go 95 & up its just a newer rig, but parts seem a littler harder to come by. Anyone else have this issue?? Just trying to cover all angles.

Thanks
Kenny

IMO the 91-95my is the best set of years. floors are flat. ho motors. less electrical. open loop cooling(im 99.9% sure). really no common engine issues(such as the heat soak issue with late models). downsides are theyre still older styling inside. so the dash and other interior pannels really are not as nice, design wise, as the late models.

one year i would stay away from is 96. the first year of going to OBDII and there was a change with the gas tank or fuelpump or something which makes things a hassle. there were a few little changes that make the 96s pain to own when altering them from stock.

thats my 2¢

97+ has a nicer interior, but 91-95 can be acquired for less money. I agree with Dick in that I'd steer clear of 96.

Either way their basically the exact same vehicle.

I happen to have two 96's in my driveway and they have both been very reliable. Last of the old body style. Parts are all over the place. I also have a 2000 in the driveway and have not dealt with the head issue YET! I will, now that I've opened my mouth. One thing to remember as time goes on the newer rigs will be showing up more and more in the junk yards and the parts will be there. Like any vehicle, maintenance,maintenance,maintenance. If it was done before you buy it and continue doing it, you should be good to go. The junk yards may have fewer new body styles but thet are showing up more and more. Whats wrong with OBD II? never heard the reason for it being bad. I know I can plug my buddies code reader in and get info, but have never had an issue so nothing important shows up.

Last edited:
See it is a toss up, 96 newer are nicer, and yeah I think you will start to see more show up for parts. 95 and down, well that body style and interior are ok. I have had 2 XJ 89 & 94. Im ok with that. I am a huge fan of LESS COMPUTER and electrical. In my 89, the heater core rotted out and all 5 doors leak, alot of rust and its time so strip it down.

I thought about an MJ a while ago. I have a lifted 90 Toyota with SAS, I like the XJ because I can get more that 2 people in it, and I can keep things dry!!

Otherwise there really isn't anything wrong with the 96

The only thing wrong with the 96 is that there really is nothing wrong with the 96, except for make-believe problems from internet guessing threads.

I happen to have two 96's in my driveway and they have both been very reliable. Last of the old body style. Parts are all over the place. I also have a 2000 in the driveway and have not dealt with the head issue YET! I will, now that I've opened my mouth. One thing to remember as time goes on the newer rigs will be showing up more and more in the junk yards and the parts will be there. Like any vehicle, maintenance,maintenance,maintenance. If it was done before you buy it and continue doing it, you should be good to go. The junk yards may have fewer new body styles but thet are showing up more and more. Whats wrong with OBD II? never heard the reason for it being bad. I know I can plug my buddies code reader in and get info, but have never had an issue so nothing important shows up.

The problem most people have with OBDII is its harder to do engine mods.
They can be done but its not as easy as OBDI

I own a 98 and love it. I would totally recommend one. Although I do understand the OBDI to OBDII comments. When you really start to understand OBDII and have all the correct tools. ODBII I feel is easier to work on. Just my .02

Well I am looking at a 97 & 93, both are bone stock. Both look to be well taken care of. I had a really BS session with TORX about all the pros & cons. Just a lot more to think about!! And more parts to shop for!! But I dig all the opinions.

Back