• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 slpine 8.25 v 8.8

PDXGraham

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am pondering on whether to do a 8.8 in my 97 XJ. now i now its a stronger axel but for what i wanna do i think the 8.25 may be fine. i dont wheel that hard and my jeep is mainly a trail rig. i will never run anything taller than a 33x10.50. i know i can swap disc brakes onto my 8.25 for very cheap and its very simple. i plan on running 4.56 gears so no matter what axel i choose it will need to be re-geard. i think it will cost a minimum of $350 to get a non-geared 8.8 under my XJ and have it drivable (that includeds brackets and brakes) i think i could put that towards my lift or maybe my gears. i also wanna run a spartan locker or maybe even an eaton e-locker for sure. so what do u guys think? stick with my stock 29 spline 8.25 or just shell out the extra $$ for te stronger 8.8?

Another vote for the 8.25.

Stick with the 8.25. Excellent axle for your set up.

i vote the 8.8 8.25 have hardly any support and if you do decide to go bigger down the road youll be set. there is a 8.8 with disks up here by me for 200. once you get 33", 35" will look better, atleast thats what happened to me. go for over kill

with what he saves not worrying about getting the 8.8 under there, he can go selectable and call it a day.

I vote 8.25 with an ARB and then call it a day. Even if you did want 35's it will hold up. Nicks running them on a locked 27 spline.

I'll agree here... since you already have the 8.25, keep it. IF you were starting with a D35 and deciding which way to go, the 8.8 would probably be the better choice due to locker selection, already having the disks, etc.

John

I am kind of in the same boat, trying to decide which axle to keep.
I have a Dana 35 currently in my 98 XJ(i am keeping this jeep)
I have a 8.25 in my wife's 99 XJ (we are selling this one).

I am tempted to switch the rear axles before i sell the 99. The option is to either swap them or keep the D35 until i find a 8.8 with disc's and lsd to swap in.

What do you guys think? Should i swap them before i sell or wait for the 8.8? I can handle having one of the XJ's out of service for a week or so, but not both as one is my wife's dd.

I am kind of in the same boat, trying to decide which axle to keep.
I have a Dana 35 currently in my 98 XJ(i am keeping this jeep)
I have a 8.25 in my wife's 99 XJ (we are selling this one).

I am tempted to switch the rear axles before i sell the 99. The option is to either swap them or keep the D35 until i find a 8.8 with disc's and lsd to swap in.

What do you guys think? Should i swap them before i sell or wait for the 8.8? I can handle having one of the XJ's out of service for a week or so, but not both as one is my wife's dd.

i could have that swap done in 4 hours.. I say go for it:viking:

FWIW, if your late model has the D35, it most LIKELY has ABS. Swapping rear ends means losing the ABS.... IF that matters to you.

This may be a stupid question, as i don't have a indepth understanding of the abs system, would it be possible to keep the ABS if i swapped to a 96-97 ford 8.8? That would be one benefit if it is possible with the 8.8.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, as i don't have a indepth understanding of the abs system, would it be possible to keep the ABS if i swapped to a 96-97 ford 8.8? That would be one benefit if it is possible with the 8.8.

I would guess probably not. The 8.8 uses a single rear wheel speed sensor at the ring gear, the factory XJ abs setup is 4WABS and has sensors out at each wheel.

Back