• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 Amp alternator upgrade for a 2000 XJ

Skipper51

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK I am confused.
stuart.gif

The check gage light came on and the voltage meter on the dash said 9 volts or no voltage I am sure is what it is telling me.

I could go over what I researched but I think it would just confuse me and you more. But here is a quick synopsis:

I need an alternator
I want a 136 amp alternator
I need one with correct connector for a 2000

Question 1: What vehicle (v8 engine right?) and year(s) do I ask the guy a NAPA for? One of these http://www.vicic.com.tw/alternators/gvdn11361203.htm ?
detective.gif

Question 2: Does the HO engines' brackets also have sleeves and can I drive both sleeves back so it will fit the bigger alternator? Or do I just grind a 1/4" off the mounting bracket?
hammer.gif

Question 3: Would I be stupid not to contact Kelley's Works in Progress for a wiring upgrade?
w00t.gif

1. The alt you want is a 136 amp Denso, part #56027913, I got mine off a '97 ZJ with the 5.2L engine.

2. The new alt is bolt on, the bracket needs to be clearanced slightly to accommodate the larger size. (mine is a '98, I assume the brackets are the same)

3. Yes, you need to upgrade the wiring and add a fuse at the PDC. KWiP is the way to fly.

sounds like you got it figured out to me... what are you confused about?

1) yep, 99-2000 dodge durango/ram/dakota/van... i used the same site:thumbup:

scaled.php

^^the alternator i got, from a 99-00 dodge, had the plug style (left), but i needed the stud style (installed on alternator)... your 00 would need the plug

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074015

2) just clearance the brackets... dunno about 1/4"... just enough to get the alternator bolts holes to line up with the bracket holes

3) yup :dunce:

Thanks guys.

I think I just read too many threads and got all squirreled around.

I just wanted to be sure I got the one with the 2000 plugs as I read that they changed the connections in 1999 to the plug type. It's and hour round trip to the parts store from here.

If you really want all out you can go to autozone and get part number 12329, it's a 160A alt with the 97+ plug style. Bracket will have to be clearanced the same as it's larger housing and the same 7 rib pulley but the belt can just be offset a groove without any problems. Would definately get in touch with 5-90 and get his upgraded wiring otherwise you won't be making full use of the higher output alt.

I picked up my 136amp off of a 94 Limited with 84k miles at the JY. The connectors from my alt swapped over no problem and then you just have to clearance the brackets / the stud mounts on your motor. It's a pretty simple swap once you have the alt in your hands. It's pretty obvious what needs to be done.

Good luck! :peace:

I went out today and got the 160 AMP alternator from Auto Zone. $135 + $74 core charge. Took my old one in and didn't pay the core charge.
Tomorrow I am putting it in. Thanks Dave for the recommendation!

If you really want all out you can go to auto-zone and get part number 12329, it's a 160A alt with the 97+ plug style. Bracket will have to be clearances the same as it's larger housing and the same 7 rib pulley but the belt can just be offset a groove without any problems. Would definitely get in touch with 5-90 and get his upgraded wiring otherwise you won't be making full use of the higher output alt.

Well I tried to install the Auto Zone #12329 160 amp alternator but it is too big. I ground my bracket down so it would fit the alenator but when I installed the it pushed up against the motor and would not attach to the upper mounting holes.:gonnablow
As far as I am concerned this is a no go as the body of the altenator is too big to install without making a whole new mounting system.:confused1

I am going back to Auto zone tomorrow and get Part number 13387. It is a 136 amp alternator for a 97/98 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) with the 5.2 liter engine.

We will see if this fits the 2k or not. The bracket is already ground down as far as it can be and not fall apart so it should be an easy install.

I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

Did you grind down the stud mounts on the motor? If the brackets fit the alt off the motor after grinding then you have to grind down the mounts on the motor flush with your brackets. I don't know why I'm having a hard time explaining this, but there are 2 cylindrical mounts on the motor where the alt brackets attach. Grind those down or anything bigger than stock won't fit.

I thought the 160 was the same size as the 136? If it is bigger then it won't fit, I didn't have a whole lot of material left after clearancing for the 136.

Did you grind down the stud mounts on the motor? If the brackets fit the alt off the motor after grinding then you have to grind down the mounts on the motor flush with your brackets. I don't know why I'm having a hard time explaining this, but there are 2 cylindrical mounts on the motor where the alt brackets attach. Grind those down or anything bigger than stock won't fit.

I thought the 160 was the same size as the 136? If it is bigger then it won't fit, I didn't have a whole lot of material left after clearancing for the 136.

you are correct.

the alternator bracket AND one of the mounts on the engine itself has to be ground down. i forget exactly what it is, but it should mirror the alternator mount, if my memory serves me correctly.

at the parts store, i had the guy pull out a 136a and 160a unit, and put it next to my stocker. the 136a and 160a unit use the same size case which is bigger than the stocker, and use the same mounts as the stocker.

my information is limited too, as i did mine about a year ago, but have yet to do my mains upgrade.

I did not grind down the stud mounts on the motor. I must have missed that and after taking the front bracket off and grinding so much off it I got a little tenative. :sad1:

So you are saying I need to stick a hand grinder in there and shave down the stud mounts on the motor too. Well that makes sense as that is what it was hitting.

The 160 amp altenator was a good 1/2 to 5/8" from rotating into allinment with the upper bracket mounting holes after attaching it at the bottom first. This seemed a little much to grind off and where I have not read of anyone acctually installing the 160 amp I just assumed that the case was bigger than the 136 amp, the extra winding have to be some place, and I took back the 160 amp and ordered the 136 amp which will be in today.

This is my DD so time down is very inconvient and I am shooting a little from the hip here to get the job done quickly. :shiver:

Last edited:
jeep/dodge switched connector style in 99, so you want something later than the 98 grand cherokee alternator

I was able to get a 136 amp alternator for a 99, GC, V8, 4x4 from autozone but the connector post is different than the ones on my 2k XJ. The post stuck out the side not out the back but the plastic connector was the same.

Also the 99 alternator mounting bracket looked off, I did not install it but it look off. It was more on the side not directly across from each other.

I now have on order one from a 98, GC, V8, 4x4 and will pick it up today to see if this works.

you are correct.

the alternator bracket AND one of the mounts on the engine itself has to be ground down. i forget exactly what it is, but it should mirror the alternator mount, if my memory serves me correctly.

at the parts store, i had the guy pull out a 136a and 160a unit, and put it next to my stocker. the 136a and 160a unit use the same size case which is bigger than the stocker, and use the same mounts as the stocker.

my information is limited too, as i did mine about a year ago, but have yet to do my mains upgrade.

Did you put in the 160 amp then? Just looking for someone who did this switch over.

I can confirm that the mounts and the connectors are the same on the 160 amp as the stock alternator. It is the size, can you grind enough down, and still be strong, to fit the 160 amp?

Last edited:
2001 here and I used the 160amp 'rango one. After grinding the bracket I installed just the bracket and then grind down the bit off the block protruding into your clearanced bracket..

on mine there was just the aluminum bracket that mounted the alt from rear.. At the junkyard one day I noticed a steel bracket that mounts on front of alt. Which after clearancing braced the alt. From the front quite nicely.. Why was I at the j yard ? Pretty shure either I had the bolts in the mounts back out or had recently overtightened belts due to squealing but my bracket (aluminum) had snapped on the highway (after about a year of being on. After grinding the new bracket and adding that steel one in the front mine didn't origionally have it's way stronger and have had no issues.. Besides that I was plug and play.. (after I had the right part allways check the part # don't trust the clerk)

I did the wiring upgrade to 2ga on my own but highly recommend 5-90 as he already has the knowledge you would have to search and learn..

also did eautoworks headlight wiring upgrade and autopal housings with h4 lamps . All at once and am still very happy with these mods after about a year..

Last edited:
2001 here and I used the 160amp 'rango one. After grinding the bracket I installed just the bracket and then grind down the bit off the block protruding into your clearanced bracket..

on mine there was just the aluminum bracket that mounted the alt from rear.. At the junkyard one day I noticed a steel bracket that mounts on front of alt. Which after clearancing braced the alt. From the front quite nicely.. Why was I at the j yard ? Pretty shure either I had the bolts in the mounts back out or had recently overtightened belts due to squealing but my bracket (aluminum) had snapped on the highway (after about a year of being on. After grinding the new bracket and adding that steel one in the front mine didn't origionally have it's way stronger and have had no issues.. Besides that I was plug and play.. (after I had the right part allways check the part # don't trust the clerk)

I did the wiring upgrade to 2ga on my own but highly recommend 5-90 as he already has the knowledge you would have to search and learn..

also did eautoworks headlight wiring upgrade and autopal housings with h4 lamps . All at once and am still very happy with these mods after about a year..

2K comes with the front steel bracket.

I ground it down too much, don't ask, but now I need to grind down the the one on the motor too. OK.

What I am thinking is you all are talking about the two ribs that run front to back in the middle of the bracket that is on the motor.

This bracket is held on on the side by three bolts and on the front it sit under the water pump and uses the same bolts that hold on the water pump.

Anyway, the 136 amp alternator comes in the afternoon and I will install it tomorrow.

The wife is not happy about not having a ride for 3 days :heart: but I need to upgrade the alternator since the old one went out.

Its the rule. If it breaks you, have to up grade. :laugh3:

Did you put in the 160 amp then? Just looking for someone who did this switch over.

I can confirm that the mounts and the connectors are the same on the 160 amp as the stock alternator. It is the size, can you grind enough down, and still be strong, to fit the 160 amp?

no, i went with the 136a unit. i found one for $35 at the JY.

i dont run things like lights, a winch, etc... and as i said, my mains arent upgraded, so im seeing little benefit, if any.

Well I hate for this to end like this but the Jeep is our only vehicle. I ordered the 136 amp yesterday and they said it would be in this am around 9. Called in the am but no alternator. Autozone said it would come in the afternoon delivery. Went to pick it up tonight but still no 136 amp alternator. With the wife in tow I decided that it must be what is trying to happen so I got a stock 117 amp alternator and left. We needed the Jeep back.

Back