• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB's with rock rings

Breezio69

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just welded up my spare set of wheels today with some one off custom rock rings, was going to go get a set of tires mounted on them either tomorrow or tuesday and Im already anticipating the shop giving me a hard time about balancing them.

Ive read through a few threads with BB's on here and a few other sites with none specific to this issue, just general use of BB's.

I looked up on dyna beads website and my tires will need 6 oz. of BBs (supposedly), here are my two concerns:

1- Instead of 6 oz could I use something like 10oz?

2- Is there a point thats "too much" bbs? like do I need to worry about overcompensating for the rings and have other problems?

Heres a look at what I got done today, the inside of the wheel will be flat black and the rock ring itself will be OD green like 1/2 my jeep is now.

rings2.jpg

rings11.jpg

Most beadlocks are not dot approved, they arent illegal but you can have problems passing safety with them if you find the shop with the A-hole working the counter

i wouldn't use BB's. if, or rather when water gets in they will corrode and clump up over time. use air soft pellets instead. i got mine on ebay for around $25 shipped and it was enough to put a little over 17.5oz per tire. i put them in my 35x12.5x15 old style mt/r's

the jeep hasn't rolled out of the garage yet so i don't know how well they will balance. but my buddy ran about 10-12oz in his 36" sx's and they balanced fine on some mickey thompson classics

i wouldn't use BB's. if, or rather when water gets in they will corrode and clump up over time. use air soft pellets instead. i got mine on ebay for around $25 shipped and it was enough to put a little over 17.5oz per tire. i put them in my 35x12.5x15 old style mt/r's

the jeep hasn't rolled out of the garage yet so i don't know how well they will balance. but my buddy ran about 10-12oz in his 36" sx's and they balanced fine on some mickey thompson classics

"pellets" is what I meant, I just said bbs because its what came to mind when I think of both...

But are you just talking about a tire on just a regular rim? Im specifically asking if anyone has advice for bbs with a rock ring or I guess beadlocks as well... I just need to know if say I throw 10oz or more in there to compensate for the rock ring with 33s there wont be any adverse effects having too much

Last edited:
twodoorxj, how many oz of bbs did you try? recommended was 6 oz, im thinking 10 but dont want to over do it and mess it up worse than it could be

I read a thread a year or so ago on a toyota forum about someone doing ths with 37s and rock rings. He put 16oz in each wheel. Think there is a write up about this on pirate guy actually used a peice of wood to balance out the weight between all three bags then put them in a tissue and once you start driving the tissue fell apart. But definetly use air soft bb's. I know wal-mart has them. I was just thinking about doing this with my 33s. Good luck.

How big are your tires?

I run the recommended 10 oz of ceramic beads from Innovative for my 35's, DIY beadlocks on steel rims. They are smooth to 80 mph. Never tried to go any faster.

10 oz of ceramic is about 25% of the volume of 10 oz of airsoft BB's. Worth the money in my opinion.

6 oz will not be enough. I'm guessing you read the wrong chart. There is a specific one for offroad vehicle tires on the website.

How big are your tires?

I run the recommended 10 oz of ceramic beads from Innovative for my 35's, DIY beadlocks on steel rims. They are smooth to 80 mph. Never tried to go any faster.

10 oz of ceramic is about 25% of the volume of 10 oz of airsoft BB's. Worth the money in my opinion.

6 oz will not be enough. I'm guessing you read the wrong chart. There is a specific one for offroad vehicle tires on the website.

33x10.50x15... it says 6oz, and I know, I looked at the oversized tires section...

Would anything bad happen if say I bought a 12oz container for each tire and put it in... they sell 12 oz bottles at wally world= no measuring by me= cuts time in half

33x10.50x15... it says 6oz, and I know, I looked at the oversized tires section...

Would anything bad happen if say I bought a 12oz container for each tire and put it in... they sell 12 oz bottles at wally world= no measuring by me= cuts time in half

If you put in to much weight the tire wont balance. If you don't put enough they wont balance. To determine the amount of weight needed, use a bubble tire balancer. Every tire/rim is different and requires a different amount of wight.

Got a little work done on these today. Got everything primered and shot flat black, with the exception if sticking the spray can nozzle through the center hole to hit the back of the rings... PITA...

I was brainstorming different ways to paint the rings, masking off is out of the question in my opinion. this is what I came up with... I bought 4" foam rollers and the same Camo OD green spray I have on the top 1/2 of my jeep. I figured if I spray the rollers lightly with paint and roll it on in a few coats on just the ring face it should work? Has anybody ever tried this? Am I high on paint fumes thinking it will work and turn out half decent? < the answer is yes, lol

Anyways, here is some progress, they look like a really "busy" wheel right now, but I think when I get the outter rings done (somehow) they should look more uniform... the focal point will be the rings not the whole black wheel in the end.

IMG_20120102_182942.jpg

Here is what they are going on... Since this pic was taken last summer (my favorite).. I have new bigger tires, these wheels, hacked up fenders, roof rack with 4 fogs/ tire carrier, tube winch bumper w/ Smitty RXC8 comp winch, tinted windows... a few things here and there I probably forgot...

My first post of my Heep on this site! lol
Jeepin.jpg

Well I got them done, hopefully I can get them on either later today or tomorrow. Im going to ask if they can try to static balance them and if they say they cant Ill throw some airsoft bbs in them... ended up using spray paint on a roller for the rings, rolled about 5 coats on each
IMG_20120103_145421.jpg

I know beadlocks aren't illegal, just not DOT approved so if you get in an accident because of them don't expect your insurance to cover anything. Which makes no sense because a properly assembled beadlock is safer than a standard rim. Anyway I don't think a rock ring would be considered anything different than one of those cheap clipped on hubcaps.

I use about 1 beer can worth of plastic airsoft BBs in each of my 36" tires, about 1/2 or 2/3 can in my 33". Get the seamless ones. The cheaper seamed BBs will split into two halves with sharp edges. I just bought them at walmart. I think on average that's about 1500 BBs per tire.

I know beadlocks aren't illegal, just not DOT approved so if you get in an accident because of them don't expect your insurance to cover anything. Which makes no sense because a properly assembled beadlock is safer than a standard rim. Anyway I don't think a rock ring would be considered anything different than one of those cheap clipped on hubcaps.

I use about 1 beer can worth of plastic airsoft BBs in each of my 36" tires, about 1/2 or 2/3 can in my 33". Get the seamless ones. The cheaper seamed BBs will split into two halves with sharp edges. I just bought them at walmart. I think on average that's about 1500 BBs per tire.

I went to Big O today and they were able to give them a static balance with stick on weights, so hopefully none fall off... It was good to 75mph, no need to really go faster than that in a lifted Heep.

Its funny because as I was leaving Big O today I thought to myself, "If I got in an accident with these I wonder of my rim would even bend?" Then I figured the most likely thing would be all my wheel studs ripping off and a 70+lb tire would be rolling down the street...

Now its time to build fender flares, +4 out the sides

I used 9 oz. in my 35"s. I don't think you can get too much within reason. They will just "find" a position inside the tire once spinning fast enough. Don't put 2 lbs. in them you may have problems....8-10 oz.or so you should be fine

I went to Big O today and they were able to give them a static balance with stick on weights, so hopefully none fall off... It was good to 75mph, no need to really go faster than that in a lifted Heep.

Its funny because as I was leaving Big O today I thought to myself, "If I got in an accident with these I wonder of my rim would even bend?" Then I figured the most likely thing would be all my wheel studs ripping off and a 70+lb tire would be rolling down the street...

Now its time to build fender flares, +4 out the sides

Pics with them all mounted up? :D

Back