• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket keyless entry & Powerlock advice...

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
Happy New Year to all you xj folks out there.

I had some time at work today, so I thought I would do the Greg Smith update to my '90 XJ door locks. I have had success with doing it on my '89 and other XJ's so, I thought it would be quick thing to do at work while it was slow.

Got everything done, and the three doors slam lock and unlock, but the rear hatch and the passenger rear door, are not going along for the ride. Is it possible since I just pulled off the hot red wire in the passenger door, and I did NOT run a wire from the battery post, that this would cause this issue? Or is it more likely that the power lock motors are bad?

Also, I thought I would go ahead a purchase as aftermarket keyless remote. Any suggestions on brand or if it is worth while to get one with a alarm?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Enjoy the holiday weekend,
Thanks
Bob

Do they work better with the engine running? If so, you're still getting too much of a voltage drop at the actuators. Also make sure you clean and lube the lock mechanisms and electrical connectors.

My 88 came with a keyless entry but the remotes are long gone (were IR based). I bought a cheapie Audivox RF unit and it works fine. It does have an "alarm" function which can fire of a siren or the horn, flash the lights, kill the ign, and all that, but has no motion sensor. I didn't bother hooking any of it up. Just the locks and lights flash.

I recall paying about $50 a few years back in some local autoparts place. I found the exact same unit on ebay some time later for $20 so I even have 2 more spare remotes.

Thanks for the input.
I just crimped them, and I will take off the hatch and lube up the actuator and lock. I don't see any difference with the motor run. I have used the red wire in the door before, and worked fine. Maybe I should go back and solder them....

I was thinking of the Bulldog system and adding the remote start, so my girlfriend can use it during the cold weather.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Bob

I replaced the IR remote lock system on my 90 2 door with a cheap generic radio unit. It was quite easy as far as the wiring went. Couldn't quite fit the unit back into the headliner, so I just ziptided to the rollbar.
I didn't do any wiring upgrades to the solenoids, but spraying the crap out of the linkages and solenoid helped a lot. I had the door panel off to fix the speaker. The door that I cleaned works even at sub-zero temps, while the door that I didn't "clean" barely works. The hatch lock works fine, but it never was as gummed up as the doors.

Back