• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference between a 00 XJ engine and a 01 TJ engine

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
Last year we built a new (to me) 2000 XJ as a trail rig for me - 6", 33" tires, Ford 8.8 locked, yadda yadda... a mild rig for travelling in Europe. On the first day of our annual trip to the alps the engine (about 110000 miles) overheated badly and called it a day.

This was in September. The last three months were filled with non-jeep related personal stuff, so the freshly built rig collected dust and nothing was done to it.

This morning a friend called - a customer of his has converted his 2001 TJ to a LS1 V8 and wants his 4.0 to be gone for cheap. It has 31000 miles and is very well taken care of (the TJ is his "trail only rig" and the low mileage is "for real").

What are the differences between these two engines? Is it a "plug&play" swap? What would be a good idea to do when the engine is out of the engine bay? Some reinforcements in otherwise hard to reach places?

Thanks!

IIRC there are some differences with the positioning of the accessories and the bolt holes on the block and timing chain cover.
Since you are in Europe; I am not sure what you have access to and their prices, but installing a more durable set of engine mounts such as Mountain Off Road Engineering (MORE) or Brown Dog would be advisable.

From pictures I have seen and comments I have heard, it seem the engine is an easy replacement complete with the accessories attached.The engine mounta are the same as well as the bell housing bolt positions/spacing. It appears that the placement of the power steering pump, alternator, air conditioner compressor, idler pulleys etc may be placed differently with differrent mounting holes drilled inn the block and head compeared to the XJ engine. Give the once over visual inspection. I am sure it could be made to fit without too much modifications.

Here's the thing... Even if the accessories are in different places, you just put your accessories on the replacement engine. If were not so price prohibitive, a US spec engine would be the best choice as it makes more hp than the Euro version. 190hp US vs 177hp Eu. The torque is different as well with the US version having 235lbft vs 218lbft.

The Wrangler version of the engine over all has a lower power rating but, that is ue to the exhaust found on the Wranglers. The engine itself has the identical cam and throttle body as the XJ version. If I were you, I would look closely at tthe cast bosses on the engine to make sure the mounting points for your accessory package are there. Worst case scenario would be that the AC lines yould need to be replaced and possibly the power steering lines.

Given the lack of miles on the TJ motor, it is a fair project to undertake. Let us know how it goes for you!

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ blocks.

The motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, re-designed TJ vs. XJ.

Brown Dog makes conversion engine mounts for the WJ/TJ block to an XJ.

Search for H8PVMT and WJ engine here, you'll find the info you need on the accesories.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ blocks.

The motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, re-designed TJ vs. XJ.

Good to know...

Back