• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big problems! '88 Cherokee, Please help!

bren0n180

NAXJA Forum User
so i was riding on a trail and i seen a log and tried to go up it in 2wd i couldnt go up so i tried 4L when i put it in 4L i heard a loud winding noise and i lost all oil pressure. idk what is wrong with it. can someone help me figure it out?

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

You have to supply a lot more information for anyone to help.

So you got this noise and lost oil pressure solely because you moved the transfer case lever from 2HI to 4LO? Have you ever had it in 4LO before.
Please explain in detail.

Take a breath man, it's significantly harder to help when your english isn't right, but yes. someone here can definitely help you

so i was riding on a trail and i seen a log and tried to go up it in 2wd i couldnt go up so i tried 4L when i put it in 4L i heard a loud winding noise and i lost all oil pressure. idk what is wrong with it. can someone help me figure it out?

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
What is a loud winding noise? We need more info! You have gotten 3 replies to your post with no info so come on man help us help you!:huh:

Hahaha, this is my nephew's thread. I tried to tell him there has to be more to the story, but he's not good with details. From everything he told me in person it sounds like the t-case needs to be rebuilt (I'm assuming the winding noise is more of a grinding noise and is probably the chain jumping teeth), and the oil pressure thing I'm thinking has to be something like a major leak in the motor. He said it stopped moving after it lost all oil pressure and there was a puddle under it.

What is a loud winding noise? We need more info! You have gotten 3 replies to your post with no info so come on man help us help you!:huh:
when it was in 4L in reverse it had the grinding winding noise. in drive it didnt have the winding noise but only two tires went instead of 4. when we got out of the ditch i looked under the jeep and found a lot of oil all over the bottom of the truck. we drove it to someones house and got them to go to the store and get us 4 quarts of oil but when its not in 4wd it doesnt lose oil pressure. i havnt tried to put it in 4 after that bc i dont want to mess anything else up. but thats all i remember

4L selection and oil pressure aren't connected in any way I can think of.

This should be really interesting!

Seems to me that oil pressure needs to be solved first as that will immobilize and badly damage the vehicle if it's really out of oil and has no oil pressure.

Is this a resurrected beater you bought real cheap?

If the "winding" noise was in 4 low it could be as simple as a badly adjusted shift linkage. The 4 low, being at the end of the line, so to speak, is the first to feel it if the adjustment has slipped.

I'd guess that in attempting to go over a stump, he might have hit something. That's the first thing I'd check.

Motor mounts? If the engine is moving around, the transfer case linkage and electricals might not be real happy.

when it was in 4L in reverse it had the grinding winding noise. in drive it didnt have the winding noise but only two tires went instead of 4. when we got out of the ditch i looked under the jeep and found a lot of oil all over the bottom of the truck. we drove it to someones house and got them to go to the store and get us 4 quarts of oil but when its not in 4wd it doesnt lose oil pressure. i havnt tried to put it in 4 after that bc i dont want to mess anything else up. but thats all i remember

Ok, so after you put 4 qts of engine oil it showed oil pressure again? How far did you drive before you put the oil in and did it have pressure then before adding oil?

Next, it went into reverse in 4lo but in drive it was only turning back wheels in 4lo?

But came out of 4 into 2 and made it to your buddies house?

Just trying to clarify. Keep the info. coming.

Hahaha, this is my nephew's thread. I tried to tell him there has to be more to the story, but he's not good with details. From everything he told me in person it sounds like the t-case needs to be rebuilt (I'm assuming the winding noise is more of a grinding noise and is probably the chain jumping teeth), and the oil pressure thing I'm thinking has to be something like a major leak in the motor. He said it stopped moving after it lost all oil pressure and there was a puddle under it.
Maybe you should be onsite to help him out with this. Give us some info and tell him to take some pics :)

My first question regarding the transfer case would be whether it performs correctly in 4 high. Do you get power to four wheels? Does it make noise? If it runs in 4 high without problems, I'd guess that the TC is all right, and the problem is in the linkage.

This is one of the strangest posts i have seen in a long time

maybe the oil he is talking about is in fact transfer case fluid. just spit ballin'

maybe the oil he is talking about is in fact transfer case fluid. just spit ballin'
That would be my guess. I would start with a drain and fill on all my fluids. Lubes at least.

makes sure ur gauge is right and working first. i converted all of my important gauges over to manual because for some reason i trust the old fashoned ways well over the new electronic stuff. seems to work better.

Back