• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how indestructable is an aw4?

small pederson

NAXJA Forum User
i think ive heard aw4 and indestructable in the same sentence. i dont remember exactly how it went or where i read it, but they talked em up pretty good. as long as you keep it cool, you wont have any problems, right?

I thought my tranny was gone, but when I took it to the shop, the guy told me it was my TPS, and my tranny was fine. He went on to say that he has only seen a few that have needed replaced in all the years they have been making them. I'd say treat it well and it should last at least as long as the rest of the Jeep.

I had my 2-3 shifter solenoid go bad, but that was it. Too much of a hassle to replace and it was actually cheaper to buy a used tranny from AAA than buy the new solenoid, so I have replaced mine. But certainly did not thrash it.

Had one AW4 under water for 45 minutes (along with the rest of the jeep) Tranny was completely filled with water. Changes fluid twice. Every shop in town said it wouldn't last 200 miles...Lasted 40,000 and pulled strong....was changed for piece of mind...not failure. ya...its indestrucable. :D

My grandfather and his brother owned a jeep dealership up until a few years ago and they NEVER had to pull an AW4 for any reason, they say it is the best most dependable tranny out there.

I have to say the samething about the AW4. Change the fluid in it and drive it until it dies. I have over 230,000 on mine, I have never had a problem with it. TPS, and a hole in one of the trans fluid lines were all I have ever had to to with it. The local dealer said the samething to me. Drive it until it dies, they haven't replaced one yet. Juice

Back