• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose clutch pedal, not master.

gloriavoxdei

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with an AX-15 and the clutch pedel has about a 1/2 inch of play in it. I have checked under the dash and it isn't the master cylender, it looks like it's because the rod out of the master that mounts to the pedal is loose on the mount point. Is there suposed to be a bushing here or is this normal?

There's no separate bushing. The hole in the plastic end of the pushrod should more or less correspond with the diameter of the pin on the pedal arm. If there's a lot of play, it's probably just worn out.

Look carefully at the pedal, and check its appearance against the picture I'll attach here. My son's 96, and others I've heard of here, had a problem with a defective weld where the offset arm attaches to the main pivot. The arm bent outward, and as a result it wore the hole in the master cylinder rod, and because the rod was cocked sideways, eventually wore the bore of the MC, which eventually jammed and failed entirely. The picture shows a 95 pedal that is not bent, and a pushrod that's not worn out.

If the pedal arm is aligned well and everything else is good, I'd suggest you try just making or finding a bushing to take up the play. Maybe you can drill out a piece of plastic, a nylon spacer, or find a piece of plastic tubing, etc., or there might even be something at a well-equipped hardware store you can adapt. My local Ace hardware has a huge assortment of spacers, washers, standoffs, and bushings, and I'd bet there's something there that could be made to work.

On the other hand, if it shifts all right, maybe you can just accept the play. My 99 has as much play as yours and I just ignore it. It doesn't fall off the pin and the clutch works, so there it stays until it breaks.

edit: oops, I forgot the picture!

95jeeppedal.jpg

Back