• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard starting

kronc42

NAXJA Forum User
my 97 jeep cherokee 4.0 is have staring problems. it sometimes starts right up no problems and others it cranks for aprox 5-10 sec befor starting. no codes no starting system problems. I have replaced the cap, wires exc... any thoughts on a sensor it could be
thank you

Not sure about 97's but have you tried priming it before hitting the starter? Turn the key to "on" let the fuel pump run then switch to "off" then start the motor. Check valve sticking might do this.

ill see if that helps. I think my fuel pump is not holding pressure so its causing rough starting thanks for the advice

sounds like the common check valve issue, but could be something else. Check the pressure drop at the rail.

To combat this problem in my '99 I turn the key on to prime the rail, off, back on to prime again, and she starts up in a few cranks.

Back