• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Few Questions Before I Monstaliner My XJs Interior

Non-StopXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read multiple threads on the prepping, and install of many different products (Herc, Raptor, Duplicolor, Rhino, Monstaliner, etc.) and none of them explained in detail what they did with the floor pan drain plugs/holes.

I going with a roll on application of Monstaliner to avoid over-spray issues, and I plan to replace the factory carpet so it doesn't have to have a show-room finish.

1. Do I pull the floor pan plugs, apply the liner, and then replace the drain plugs after the cure time...or just leave them in and apply the liner over them?

2. How long to wait (after the 48-hour cure up) before totally replacing the full interior?

3. Has anyone used, or heard of friends using Monstaliner on their XJ interior?

Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

Any tips, help, and comments are welcome because I want to have the gameplan set before I mix up the liner and get to it.
This stuff has less than a 24 hour pot time on it which doesn't leave a lot of time for second guessing.

Last edited:
Better sealed then being sorry with sopping wet carpet again...

It looks like I'm going to just seal the floor pan drain plugs in by rolling that stuff under and then over them.

All I did was pull all the interior. I left all the plugs and other things in place. I laid down roof patch since I had everything out. It's like Dynamat just a thousand times cheaper. A lot of people will argue this point but the hammer and ear test, it passed. Make sure you cut out the holes as you go for the seats and various other things. Then I used DuPont Bedliner with Kevlar over the roof patch. I just scuffed the roof patch and used MEK to clean everything up before I laid down the bedliner. I didn't put back in the carpet that way it's an easy clean out after wheeling and it's not my DD. Everything turned out well and was done in a weekend.

leave them in, they are only there to drain the coating out when the chassis is dipped at the factory to rust proof it, they were never intended to drain water out of the jeep.

If you're really worried about having to use them later, put tape over them before you put down your liner material, then pull the tape off while it's still wet. once the liner cures spray rubberized undercoating material over the plug. it's thick enough that it will rust proof the area but pliable enough that you can get the plug out later with a screw driver if you need to.

Thanks for the info Sheff and Grim.

It's good to know for sure that I was screwing up by sealing them in for good. I Rustolium Red primed under and over the plugs yesterday, and plan to just liner over them this week.

I just scuffed and shot right over mine. for threaded holes/studs that needed to stay clean for re-assembly i used a HF silicon cap kit, they fit snugly, and just pull out after the coating has started to set up.

I had minimal overspray issues, and those were due to masking as i went with a cardboard guard, if you did it properly you should have no issues.
Shooting raptorliner was much easier than i thought it would be, i can barely spray paint, yet was able to attain a good even finish/texture.

Back