• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody know how to align PS pulley?

Dragonslayer

NAXJA Forum User
1993 XJ, 4.0L, AW4

Hi folks. I swapped my P/S last summer and ever since that, the serpentine belt has had
an intermittent chirp. It's not constant, and it goes away and comes back every now & then.

Swapping to a Gatorback belt helped to improve things - but a small amount of chirping
is still there.

I noticed that the forward edge of the belt rides almost flush with the forward face of the
water pump pulley, and that about 3/16" of shiny metal (wear mark) left behind by the
old belt is exposed at the rear edge of the water pump pulley.

I think that I have the P/S pulley pressed on as far back as it can go, but I may be
mistaken.

Anybody got an idea how I can get the belt to ride a bit further back on the water pump
pulley?

When you swapped you pump/pulley did you note where the pulley was on the shaft before you pulled it?

I did my 88 MJ and 90XJ on the same day..pulleys were a little different. One, the shaft on the MJ was flat and perfectly flush with the pulley, so I made sure I put it back on the same way. The shaft on the XJ was beveled and slightly recessed from the end of the shaft.

Changing that would fix the way the belt rides on the pulley. Inside or outside, just by an 1/8" would make a big difference

As far as the chirping, I'd suspect the idler pulley OR just the belt being too loose, tight, but still too loose.

P.S. All my older Jeeps have had that 1/8 to 3/16 if "shiny spot" on the back edge of the WP pulley but have a ridge at the front of the pulley to keep it from flying off

Swapped, you say? I had a pulley alignment issue after swapping a newer intake manifold and on a 94 YJ-flavored 4.0. In my case the "stick out" of the TJ pump shaft was slightly different and the pulley offset was slightly different too. I wound up with a 97 pulley on a 94 pump (drilled out the mounting holes) and a 03 manifold. Just dumb luck I think but all pulleys line up great now.

Another idea- you may want to visually inspect your harmonic balancer. It's possible for the rubber to fail, allowing the pulley to become offset from the hub.

I swapped the PS pump because the old one was leaking like a sieve.

I did note the position of the pulley on the old pump. The pump shaft was flush with the
front face of the pulley hub and that's how I positioned the pulley on the new pump.

Anyway, I think I fixed it this afternoon. Using the pulley install tool (bolt, nut and
washers) I pushed the pulley further back so now the tip of the pump shaft now protrudes past the pulley hub by about 3/16". It was tough going and I had feared
I was going to break the bolt off inside the shaft while doing this. The position of
the belt on the water pump pulley seem unchanged, however.

All seem OK for now (no chirps or squeels during 3 hours of running errands); but I'm
not going to celebrate until a few more days pass.

I've had the same problem and I believe that the problem is that the pulley on the water pump is pressed on too far on many of the pumps. I ended up adding about .060" spacer on that pulley and all is fine. The other thing you could do is to shim the PS pump out from the intake and that would cause it to rotate slightly.

Back